Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Sensitive Mummy

(6 Posts)
groceries Thu 01-Sep-11 16:58:35

My baby is 6 months old and a delight to us and to his Grandparents. However, my parents live overseas and I see my Dad at least once every 2 years. My mother hasn't really bothered with me and despite having a grandchild still makes no effort with us. My partners parents are really good, DP's mum can be a bit overbearing at times though. She dosen't understand that my son needs his naps and has been known to wake him up at times when we are there or at home. I don't know if its a generational thing, but they tend to think that they wont sleep at night. Anyway I am always patient and calmly explain his routine to them and how it works - he is happy and contented. Everything just feels very one-sided as I don't have any family here and I cant help but feel upset sometimes, especially when everyone says he is just like my partners family. I guess this is normal feeling like this at times. But, they tend to go on about it all the time, and never mention my side at all. Am I just being too sensitive?

Hullygully Thu 01-Sep-11 17:04:48

Yes and no. It's not surprising you feel out numbered and sad about your own parents absence, but it isn't your partner's parents' fault. Can you take the baby to visit your parents? Do you have any other relatives?

And it will get easier, you still have mad hormones dashing about if the baby is just 6 mths.

mamsnet Thu 01-Sep-11 17:06:39

You do sound like you're being very sensitive, if understandably so...

Make a point of pointing out how much he looks like people on your side too!!!

And don't pick holes in your ILs behaviour... You are lucky to have some help!

I don't mean to be cruel, my own parents are overseas too.. Just remember how special the visits (in either direction) will be as yournbaby gets older..

BeerTricksPotter Thu 01-Sep-11 17:07:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

groceries Thu 01-Sep-11 17:10:34

Thanks your right it isn't their fault, I just don't have any relatives in this country at all to balance things out (they are in NZ). I think maybe I would want to go in a few months time though, we have been before DS came along...

BeerTricksPotter Thu 01-Sep-11 17:14:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now