Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Contacted by HV after dd had an accident last week

(16 Posts)
CharlieBoo Thu 01-Sep-11 13:21:05

My dd (aged 2) pulled her arm last week and we ended up in a and e. Her big bro pulled her up by her arm and she couldn't use it so off we went to a and e. (we were in middle of shopping centre when it happened).

Had a message on my answer Phone from a HV to see how she is... Should I be worried about this or is this standard?

CMOTdibbler Thu 01-Sep-11 13:22:39

Its standard - HVs are always informed of a childs trip to A&E

ShatnersBassoon Thu 01-Sep-11 13:24:10

Standard. We've had two calls from HVs after A&E trips. I don't know if it's only injuries that trigger the HV call, but it was only the two trips that were because of accidents and the injuries caused by them (rather than illness) that they called for.

Catsdontcare Thu 01-Sep-11 13:26:25

It's standard and in my experience seems to be just when there has been an accident, when ds ended up in a&e due to illness we didn't get a call. She will just want to know how your dd is doing.

CharlieBoo Thu 01-Sep-11 13:28:12

It's made me feel a bit unnerved, not been contacted by anyone before but it did say on message not to worry, they just want to see how she is. So glad it's standard but won't stop me worrying lol!

fivegomadindorset Thu 01-Sep-11 13:29:28

Standard, although mine seems to have given up.

carocaro Thu 01-Sep-11 14:39:04

Yes standard. School nurse phoned me up after DS1 got a black eye in the Summer holidays, at first I was annoyed but then I thought it's good they check as 1 out of every 100 might be something. His friend (moved away now thank god he was vile) had pulled his feet out from under when they were playing Lego and he hit his eye socked in hit bunk bed ladder. So yes I suppose it was classed as an accident and not an illness

CharlieBoo Thu 01-Sep-11 17:48:33

Thanks for all your replies. She called back a couple of hours ago and was lovely. She explained it's standard for anyone under 16 after attending a and e for an accident.

margerykemp Thu 01-Sep-11 17:54:09

Not standard practice here. Had dcs in a and e with broken bones and poisoning but no word fron hv.

CurlyhairedAssassin Fri 02-Sep-11 21:39:49

Not standard practice here either. Ds fell and hit his head when he was 2 and no hv call after a&e trip. In fact i have never heard of this happening, maybe it does depend on the area.

GwendolenHarleth Fri 02-Sep-11 22:15:51

Yes this is standard where I live. Don't worry, just explain what happened, they will say that is fine and that will be the end of it.

HauntedLittleLunatic Fri 02-Sep-11 22:20:28

Standard for them to be notified but guess it depends how over stretched they are to how many they contact.

My bb was.notified when we went to walk-in with illness. She asked how she was when she next saw her (8 weeks so still saw her at clinic) rather than making a specific call

Ormirian Fri 02-Sep-11 22:21:16

it's normal.

ZhenXiang Fri 02-Sep-11 22:22:54

Standard, I had a letter from HV after I took DD to A&E when she had 'flu and was dehydrated reminding me that I could take her to them if need be. I read the hospital guidelines on it as I wasn't expecting it either and apparently for accidents they always do at my local hospital.

EyeoftheStorm Fri 02-Sep-11 22:25:57

Not just accidents in my area - HV called when DS1 had been to a&e twice with his asthma. I was a bit hmm as it was implied that we weren't doing everything to help him. So all those trips to GPs and paediatricians and watching every breath he took were us not looking after him, were they?

Actually, once I got over my initial reaction, I realised they were just looking after him so I couldn't get offended by that.

solidgoldbrass Fri 02-Sep-11 22:25:58

When DS cut his head open I was warned that someone 'might' be in touch, and that his school and GP would be notified of the accident, but no one ever did phone or write. I don't think there is anything sinister about it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now