Talk

Advanced search

10month old with heavy cold and teething

(9 Posts)
JennyPiccolo Thu 01-Sep-11 04:54:06

And generally having a miserable time. Should i take her to the docs? Is there anything a doctor can give except calpol? Shes had the cold since friday.

Octaviapink Thu 01-Sep-11 13:01:21

Oh dear! I sympathise as 9mo DS has the same at the moment. I doubt the doc could do anything. Is she getting enough fluids? DS just wants to feed and feed and feed at the mo which is quite tough as he'd been having a lot less recently (having finally taken to solids).

JennyPiccolo Thu 01-Sep-11 13:33:35

Yeah she is eating and drinking okay, and being fairly jolly throughout the day, but she's been sick through the night(i think shes swallowing lots of gunk and snot and what not) i feel like i should be doing more to help her but i dont realistically think the doctor could do anything.

Octaviapink Thu 01-Sep-11 14:40:34

If she's ok in herself and staying hydrated then you're probably doing all that can be done. DD had a hideous cold when she was still bf-ing at about 10 months and when she wanted to feed she'd get massively frustrated because her nose was blocked up. If it was night we'd turn on the light to get her to sneeze and clear her nose a bit!

MagnumIcecreamAddict Thu 01-Sep-11 21:09:12

So you've probably tried these but it's what I do when my little one is like this so hope it helps....

Karvol plug in vapouriser (brilliant)
Large bowl of hot water in the room to humidify
Alternate paracetamol and ibuprofen - give the ibuprofen last before bed as it tends to last longer
Teetha teething powders they really do work (not quite as good as Ashton and Parsons but seems to be nationwide shortage of those)
Prop cot up with a few books (unlees wrigly babe like mine who will end up lying head down!)
Karvol/Vicks baby vapour rub on chest

And do consider taking to GP to make sure it's not an ear infection too, if not getting better.

I feel for you, it's miserable for both of you.

JennyPiccolo Thu 01-Sep-11 21:21:45

i have tried a few of those, will look for a karvol thingy, ive got the wee capsules which are okay.

I have a very wriggly baby, so propping her cot up wont do much (She tends to sleep with her bum in the air anyway)

Thanks for advice x

thebody Thu 01-Sep-11 21:48:07

god feel for you, the being sick is a good thing though(honestly)as it gets all the gunk off her chest.

karvol is brilliant, split the capsule on put it on her pillow or comfoter, it does stain though but who cares about that!

in my experience if its an ear problem its painful and baby cries lots, especially when laid in the feeding position.

hugs to you, will get better soon of course, light and tunnel

BenRoo Wed 14-Sep-11 20:09:22

Oh god. Mine too sad
My DS has had snotty bunged up nose,cough plus some teeth coming through.
Taken him to the docs as he's now got conjunctivitis!
He's constantly on the boob for comfort,although he's also off his solids.
Bedtimes...pah..he doesn't have one at the moment hmm
Currently both sat on kitchen floor whilst I try and cook some dinner for me and DH (at evening class)
I'm also poorly and slowly going crazy sad

PumpkinsMummy Sun 25-Sep-11 18:52:48

We got an aspirator (snot sucker!) for my wee one this week as he couldn't feed because of his blocked nose, and although he hated having his nose sucked it made a huge difference. Also, a dose of calpol before bed and a bowl full of boiling water with a Karvol capsule/olbas oil worked better for short naps than the plug in.Karvol on the chest and back seemed to help too. Unfortunately my LO is now biting me and refusing the breast, perhaps as a result of his cold/teething so we are not over the hill yet!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now