Talk

Advanced search

HV advised very dilute OJ for constipated 3 month old. Anyone heard of this?

(31 Posts)
trixie123 Wed 31-Aug-11 20:51:49

poor mite has been straining to little effect for some days so asked advice. (water not having the desired effect). She advised 1teaspoon of OJ per 3oz of water. Not great for teeth but she doesn't have any yet so fine - just wondered if this is common advice and if anyone has any other suggestions?

HoneyPablo Wed 31-Aug-11 20:54:03

Have you tried raising up both her legs with her lying on her back when she is straining?

fuzzyfeltfox Wed 31-Aug-11 20:59:01

similar advice, we were told teaspoon of brown sugar in warm water which worked almost instantly, the relief was obvious for all of us

Have you tried sitting her in a warm bath after raising and cycling her legs? This worked for DS a few times, we only used the brown sugar trick once.

Fuchzia Wed 31-Aug-11 21:03:18

I wad told this by HV too. Didn't seem to work but DS was a bit older (10months) at the time.

Loopymumsy Wed 31-Aug-11 21:10:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Secondtimelucky Wed 31-Aug-11 21:16:03

I think I've read threads where people say this isn't a good idea. How would it work? Presumably it's slightly acidic so would irritate the tummy to make them go? That doesn't sound that nice.

CrushedWithEyeliner Wed 31-Aug-11 21:16:15

I was told a raisin in the water (sounds about as useful as homeopathy to me).

HTH but damned sure it didn't ;)

AMumInScotland Wed 31-Aug-11 21:28:20

Sugar water or diluted juice are often suggested - I can't swear they work, but I don't think they'd do any harm.

onepieceofcremeegg Wed 31-Aug-11 21:30:31

My former hv (who is now retired) told me that Orange Juice was the "older" advice, more recently she recommended apple juice. (slightly more chance of sensitivity to citrus juice opposed to apple juice)

TheSkiingGardener Wed 31-Aug-11 21:40:15

Pear juice always worked for DS. Not a lot needed but rapid results.

waitingfornaru Thu 01-Sep-11 00:01:22

My newborn was always constipated and I was surprised to learn that my being anaemic at the time (lost of blood lost at birth) was affecting my breastmilk and contributing to the constipation. Baby was exclusively breastfed.

whackamole Thu 01-Sep-11 01:43:03

Yep I was advised when I started introducing formula. Didn't try it in the end, as I switched from SMA to Cow & Gate which sorted him out quick smart.

mathanxiety Thu 01-Sep-11 01:49:39

exMIL fed reconstituted evaporated milk with sugar added as formula to all her offspring in the 50s in the US and from Day One they were also given orange juice to counteract the inevitable constipation. This was standard baby feeding practice at the time apparently.

shock

EverythingsNotRosie Thu 01-Sep-11 07:20:08

We also switched from sma to cow and gate. The advice I was given was prune juice in water and it worked a treat and she's none the worse for it!

StealthPolarBear Thu 01-Sep-11 07:21:18

I was told this or prune juice on MN when DD was a bit older (but still exbf). Prune juice seemed to work smile

Mendeleyev Thu 01-Sep-11 08:18:29

Third to the prune juice. IIRC you are supposed to water it down. I used to make a prune and apple pudding after she was weaned and that helped too.

trixie123 Thu 01-Sep-11 13:02:22

thanks. Interesting abhout the SMA/ C&G thing - she is on SMA so maybe I'll try swapping her over. Really need to help her I think sad

MmeLindor. Thu 01-Sep-11 13:07:20

I would go for apple or prune rather than orange juice, which might be too acidic. And you have to get good quality juice, not just the waterwithappleflavourandsugarwhichhasneveractuallyseenanapple.

We used a spoonful of lactose, as was advised in Germany at the time.

worldgonecrazy Thu 01-Sep-11 13:14:30

I have no experience of either FF or constipation, but I do know that the very few BF mums who had constipation problems, were advised to drink orange juice themselves to help their babies go. I think it changes the breastmilk. I wonder if this older tradition for bf mums to drink OJ to help babies go is where the idea that giving OJ straight to babies will help them?

mummytime Thu 01-Sep-11 13:31:37

I was told apple juice.
Odd my SIL was shocked that I only gave my toddlers watered down juice too (now she's a Gran I wonder what her attitude is?).
I did find a bit of lower back massage if they were straining seemed to help.

BeerTricksPotter Thu 01-Sep-11 13:32:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Seona1973 Thu 01-Sep-11 20:38:16

citrus juices arent actually advised before 6 months so I wouldnt give orange juice to a 3 month old

colditz Thu 01-Sep-11 20:39:48

I was advised to give 1/2 an ounce of prune juice in 4 oz of water. And oh Billy-oh didn't he go!

EverythingsNotRosie Thu 01-Sep-11 21:10:19

Trixie, my DD was very constipated so we switched to Cow & Gate comfort- best thing we ever did. We then gradually weaned her onto normal Cow & Gate, mixing the two in one bottle, and she was fine. I think SMA can be quite rich.

VegasBride Thu 01-Sep-11 21:32:28

prune juice a teaspoon worked a treat

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now