Talk

Advanced search

play dates: how do you handle it when

(5 Posts)
warthog Wed 31-Aug-11 19:31:54

'muuuum i want to go home. i don't like it here'

<under breath> 'ok we'll leave in 5 mins'

'but muuuum i want to go NOW'

<even more sotto voce> 'it's rude to say that - we'll leave very soon. ooooh look at this amazing toy truck.'

ad nauseum.

because it's bloody embarrassing.

SilveryMoon Wed 31-Aug-11 19:35:22

I tell my ds1 that he can go and sit by the door until I am ready to leave.
He soon gets bored and goes back to play. After a good old cry that is.
Depends whose house it is, if there's a reason he doesn't like it or if he;s just being a pain as well.

Octaviapink Wed 31-Aug-11 20:39:51

If it's a playdate, surely it's because he wants to be there? If he doesn't want to be there, what's the rationale for staying? You can always make an excuse to leave?

willugotobed Thu 01-Sep-11 00:01:32

I think I'd be firm and say no - we'll go when I'm ready (am guessing you've also gone to have a chat with friend etc). Then not leave it too long. Otherwise, where does it end? Remember my 3 yr old being quite manipulative in this way. Not quite sure what age your ds is though. Certainly at age 4.5 onwards I think they can understand it's rude and need to know it's not on.

warthog Thu 01-Sep-11 18:20:51

thanks all. it's a case of all of us being invited round somewhere more because it's a friend of mine than a friend of dd's so understandable really.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now