Talk

Advanced search

sick of urban life.... move abroad?

(5 Posts)
justlookatthatbooty Wed 31-Aug-11 08:44:51

Seeking stories and tips from families who may have moved abroad....
We are considering... At least for three years abroad. Our kids are two and three. Your experiences or tips both positive and negative? we do not currently live in uk but are considering a move back to uk as one less favourite option or a move to bali being fave option. Nz could be another longer term move.
Anyone? Main reason being sick of urbanlife and very tired of culture in this lovely but narrow hearted culture. Hhhhhhhmmmmm......?

Bouviergirl Wed 31-Aug-11 11:36:01

Currently abroad for a few years for work. Came with DC1 1yo and have since had another DC abroad. I have lived abroad before in single years so this is first time with DH and family.

We love it. We are in a beautiful European country with excellent quality of life, great weather and very child friendly. So it has worked out, being here with a young family during the hard early years. I think it is much easier than life in the UK, where life for families is very hard in my opinion, and getting harder.

DC have picked up understanding of a foreign language and been exposed to a wider group of people than probably would have been the case in UK.

I found the first year very difficult though, dealing with the practicalities of the move and then the cultural/settling in and adapting to a new life abroad, making friends, establishing a network and a routine, and doing it all alone all day everyday with just toddlers for company. After the first year, I settled in and loved it.

Living abroad is not a panacea. Daily life is the same everywhere whichever country you are in. Food shopping, cleaning the loo, rainy days, washing and ironing, rude people on buses squashing you, expensive cost of living, rubbish drivers on road...they ALL exist and go on everywhere.

But, it can be great fun, widen your horizons (quite literally), bring you into contact with things and people you wouldn't have seen or done, teach you a lot about yourself (often through the difficult bits, of course) and so on. I would encourage anyone, if they can do it, to consider it seriously and give it a go if they can. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

justlookatthatbooty Wed 31-Aug-11 12:39:15

Thanks Bouvie...
Can imagine you like to leave it a mystery as you haven't mentioned where you are....
If you like give me three European locations that might be good to move to?
I've been struggling to come up with any but would love to be educated, one of the disadvantages of Bali being it's distance from Europe.
I know what you mean about the first year in a new place, can be really hard work.
One of my greatest priorities is the feeling that I will be able to express myself with great enthusiasm and gusto as I am want to do, without getting hmm hmm hmm looks, this being a tremendously 'sober' culture not fond of anything that looks like excitement or exaggeration. Bah. Give me loo cleaning and crap driving if I can marry it with my own enthusiastic gusto any day of the week.
I CANNOT STAND THIS CULTURE FOR ONE MORE YEAR. Sorry, caps now off, I swear to god, the depression is leading to insanity.
Where in Europe can we think about? Hmmm.... come on then, I'm going to keep shaking my stick at all of you til you give me locations and more.
This is most excellently helpful ranting thankyou so very much!
x

Bouviergirl Wed 31-Aug-11 21:24:05

Have you tried posting this question in the Living Overseas section of Talk? You might find it informative to browse what people say in there about living in different placesaround the world/in Europe, and if you posted a question i'm sure you'll get more info.

For places in Europe I personally like, I think France has it pretty sorted in lots of ways, nowhere's perfect but I think the French way of life and the sheer beauty of the country/the French style is fantastic. Switzerland is also beautiful and perhaps best quality of life in the world, but it's quite a conformist culture in a way so maybe not for you. But if you're looking for somewhere where gusto and enthusiasm are to be applauded, then I'd say look at Italy! Whenever I go I'm always amazed how stereotypically Italian it is, in a great way! - a chaotic culture that is brave, brash, full of gusto, flair, emotion, verve and beauty!

Hope you find where you want to get to...

mamafridi Thu 01-Sep-11 16:39:28

Unfortunately came a bit late to this thread, but hope you might still be around...
I live in Italy, and have done so for 17 years. However, I'm ready to leave now and am thinking of France for my next port of call (thanks bouviergirl for the nudge I needed)
Everyone has their subjective opinions (obviously) and every area of a country can be very different from its neighbours and that's no truer than in Italy. The north/south divide is gigantic. And the middle is almost an island unto itself.
All I can tell you is that if you've got lots of money then you should be okay here. The cost of living has become astronomical, but salaries just don't match up - and to be honest what you get for your money is quite often scandalous. I'm sorry I've become rather jaded with Italy.
Though there's no question of its beauty. And if you are in search of countryside and getting away from urban life then Italy could very well be the country for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now