Talk

Advanced search

Iron-on or Sew-in name labels for school uniform ~ which is best?

(31 Posts)
waitingfornaru Tue 30-Aug-11 15:51:38

Quick poll, just browsing ebay now to purchase.
Iron-on or Sew-in name labels for school uniform ~ which is best?

Thanks! smile

Fo0ffyShmoofer Tue 30-Aug-11 15:54:08

Sew in. Iron on = peel off I find. Sewing them in is a pain no doubt though.

MrsPlugThePlumber Tue 30-Aug-11 15:56:22

Agree - I find the iron-on ones in the creases in the washing machine door.

A permanent marker works fine ;)

Seona1973 Tue 30-Aug-11 18:19:00

I use iron on but dont tumble dry so dont know how durable they are for that. I dont have a problem with them peeling off. I also have a laundry marker for anything I have missed out when doing the ironing. I use the fab and funky labels from easy2name - there is a 10% mumsnet discount too. They also do stick on, ones that are like a button, stampers, etc

BerryLellow Tue 30-Aug-11 18:21:07

Iron ons are useless IME, The only place they really stick seems to be the washing labels, and the school never seem to look there. I've bought sew in this year, from Easy2Name.

ChristinedePizan Tue 30-Aug-11 18:24:19

Iron-on = peel=off. I am a sewing fan (nearly wrote 'I am a sewer' but that reads very wrong grin)

sleepevader Tue 30-Aug-11 21:11:11

I'm using a sharpie marker pen.

Just had the discussion with dp. I felt like I was swearing saying iron and sew as I do neither!

SandStorm Tue 30-Aug-11 21:13:18

I use a biro - it works fine and when it does eventually become illegible it's quick and easy to redo.

orienteerer Tue 30-Aug-11 21:16:09

Sewing is the only permanent method. I've got some iron on ones but they fall off IME.

DiscoDaisy Tue 30-Aug-11 21:16:21

Same as SandStorm here. Have discovered over the years that it doesn't matter what you use as uniform still goes missing.

suzikettles Tue 30-Aug-11 21:18:45

Ds has been at school for a whole week now and I keep finding iron-on labels in the washing machine. Waste of time ime.

I'm going for the biro scrawl on the care label method now.

munstersmum Tue 30-Aug-11 21:22:51

Life's too short - permanent pen.

Seona1973 Tue 30-Aug-11 21:23:19

dd is now in P4 and her tops from P1 that I am re-using for ds (only 2 survived!)still had the iron in labels in with her name on. I wasnt able to get them off so had to iron ds's name tape on top of them. The ones I use dont go on the care label but on the fabric of the clothing.

pointythings Tue 30-Aug-11 21:25:34

Neither - these instead. You just clip them to the washing instructions label (not at the neck, it itches) and away you go. They last and last. I am too busy to do sewing and my iron left here ten years ago to find some place where they have work for it.

sleepevader Tue 30-Aug-11 22:29:47

Omg pointy they look brilliant!

sleepevader Tue 30-Aug-11 22:30:22

Ps are they easy to remove if necessary?

Jdore Wed 31-Aug-11 08:03:47

permenent marker, name clothing in a obvious place then again in a less obvious place, this is because things get taken and labels are removed and replaced with their own labels angry

thebeansmum Wed 31-Aug-11 13:39:01

mynamelabel.co.uk - iron in, but I have been using them for years and years and they have never peeled off. I defy anyone to try and pick or peel one off! Granted, they are a bit more expensive than some others but I cannot be arsed sewing in and I don't like the 'permanent marker look' in kids clothes, IMO they can't be beaten.

ruddynorah Wed 31-Aug-11 13:40:07

Sharpie.

OriginalPoster Wed 31-Aug-11 13:40:55

Black biro for me, and I only write the start of our surname, so they are fine to hand down.

pointythings Wed 31-Aug-11 20:09:57

sleepevader - I've never tried to remove one as we have an unusual surname so just pass the clothes down unchanged - schools not fussy as long as name is identifiable. I suspect you'd have to cut the label off, but most of the DDs' stuff has multiple labels (one for washing, one for the make and so on) so I'd just cut off one and attach the new one to another if needed.

MagnumIcecreamAddict Thu 01-Sep-11 21:57:55

Pilot laundry tech fabric marker.

BlueberryPancake Fri 02-Sep-11 19:30:15

I've had the iron on from Easy2name on everything from socks to vests and they lasted for the academic year apart from a couple. I also have sharpie for drink bottle/hats/waterproofs/lunch bag.

CurlyhairedAssassin Fri 02-Sep-11 21:43:14

Biro. Useful for when passing uniform on to younger siblings, just write over it when it's faded

ragged Sat 03-Sep-11 09:03:09

School heavily says sew on best.
I haven't ever used iron-on, can't comment.
I suppose any option requires some maintenance, you have to check that threads haven't come undone, ironed-on didn't peel off, Biro hasn't faded, etc.

I use Biro mostly & sew on labels when I have to. Have ingrained habit about checking them after every wash/before putting back into wardrobe, though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now