Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Helmets for kids while scooting- overprotective or normal??

(46 Posts)
feistywife Mon 29-Aug-11 17:58:49

We have cycle helmets for our 2&4 yr old, which are usually deployed for scooting too- am I massively overprotective? As usually see most kids scooting w/o brain buckets. Your views? Wondering if 4 yr old is going to be laughing stock of new school chums...

TheOriginalFAB Mon 29-Aug-11 18:02:01

I don't care what anyone else does with their child as it has no effect on me and if my child dies because I copied someone else, the other parent won't be relevent.

Mine are not allowed on their bikes, scooters or skate boards without a helmet. DS1 has had one accident where he came off his bike and the doctor said his helmet had saved him from further damage.

MmeLindor. Mon 29-Aug-11 18:03:05

Not overprotective. A child can be going just as fast on a scooter as on a bike.

MrsPlesWearsAFez Mon 29-Aug-11 18:03:56

Normal.

I wouldn't let dd(4) out on a bike without a helmet either.

cyb Mon 29-Aug-11 18:04:33

I've never put a helmet on my boys when they've been scootering

But wouldnt scorn a parent who chose to do so

madwomanintheattic Mon 29-Aug-11 18:05:56

all three of mine wear helmets on their scooters. and my eldest is 11 lol. but the 7yo already has brain damage, and dh had brain surgery a few years ago as well, so lids aren't optional in my view.

magnolia74 Mon 29-Aug-11 18:07:34

Ds1 always has one after falling from his scooter and smashing his head open sad He wasn't going fast but it was enough to scare the shit out of me!!

TheOriginalFAB Mon 29-Aug-11 18:07:38

relevant

BooBooGlass Mon 29-Aug-11 18:09:07

My 3 year old knows he has to wear his. Would you rather him a laughing stock or dead? And really, there's nothing uncool about wearing a helmet. Nip that attitude in the bud.

Tommy Mon 29-Aug-11 18:09:11

DS3 (4 - going to school next week) always has a helmet while on his scooter as does his best buddy

BornToFolk Mon 29-Aug-11 18:09:43

DS wears one. I don't care what anyone else thinks, I think it's necessary. Sometimes he doesn't want to take it off when we get to the park and then I really look like an over-protective mum as he climbs and slides with his helmet on! grin

leddeeburdee Mon 29-Aug-11 18:12:23

DS (4) and DD (2) wear them. I won't let them scoot without them.

thisisyesterday Mon 29-Aug-11 18:13:23

my 2 do. they're the only 2 i ever see with helmets on, but i don't care.
they both managed to fall off going down a hill the other week and it would be so easy for themt o have hit their heads

ladyintheradiator Mon 29-Aug-11 18:15:13

DS has one but I must admit I am not very strict about making him wear it. Not that he would complain I think but bad habits form easily - so popping down to the shop now and then I stopped getting the helmet out because it's about 100 yards and very safe. But that means I am more likely to forget at other times. So this thread is a kick in the bum really, he is getting fast on it now too.

madrose Mon 29-Aug-11 18:18:50

My dd came of her scooter once, if she wasn't wearing her helmet she would have been seriously hurt. Wear helmets.

Popbiscuit Mon 29-Aug-11 18:23:41

My kids are more reckless on their scooters than on their bikes. Helmets not optional in our house.

feistywife Mon 29-Aug-11 18:31:23

Thx all- will continue to protect little heads from Tarmac, whether on four, three or two wheels. My view is also no helmet no play, but as have seen so many without, was wondering if scooting concern was a bit excessive- seems like they can indeed damage themselves just as badly- ouch.
Just an aside- We have book called "Dude, where's your helmet?!" which helped drum msg home for four yr old DS. smile

101namechanges Mon 29-Aug-11 23:46:25

Overprotective.

killercat Mon 29-Aug-11 23:51:17

I'd say overprotective! My three year old is faster and more dangerous when she runs, and I don't put her in a helmet for sports day wink
It's not as if they scooter in the road with cars, or will ever do so.
We have bike helmets as even the little one will progress onto the road. But it wouldn't have occurred to me to put it in her to scooter.

libelulle Mon 29-Aug-11 23:58:15

Killer she must be either a super fast runner or quite a slow scooter then! My dd can easily go faster on a scooter than even I can run. Whereas actually she's still quite slow on her bike. I've always wondered if I'm being too cautious insisting on a helmet, so relieved that majority are in favour, at least on here.

Litotes Tue 30-Aug-11 00:00:54

My dc both wear helmets when on their scooters. (4 and 6) They go really fast and given that I would not allow them on their bikes without helmets, not sure why I would think that they were not needed on scooters.

As parents we all weigh up individual risks and what we want to do to minimise them. You are not being overprotective - you are protecting your ds's head!

lockets Tue 30-Aug-11 00:02:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

festi Tue 30-Aug-11 00:04:49

my dd scoots like an unenthusiastic snail, so i dont bother with a helmet, i did wen she was 2 on the scooter but dont now. I also let her take her helmet off when cycling on the grass in the field near the park. but if she was scootering at high speed, jumps etc at the skate park then helmet on for sure. I think its a judgement Im able to make and would not judge otheres either way. I dont see it as over protective just a judgemnt call.

goodasgold Tue 30-Aug-11 00:12:30

Hmm not sure about this at all. If I had my way I would proceed them with a duvet so whenever they take a tumble it doesn't hurt. But I think that maybe the way I learnt about what I could and couldn't do was better. In that I actually knew when too fast was too fast for me to feel safe.

killercat Tue 30-Aug-11 00:17:32

But where is everyone scootering where they'd let their children go 'faster than they can run'? Honestly, really???
I see scootering as an alternative to having a little one jog along me to keep up. I have long lanky legs and walk incredibly fast. My eldest daughter now claims she never walks anywhere as I'd never slow down enough wink Thankfully, a scooter is now the mode of choice for little dd now she is three and has outgrown the buggy (or rather, it broke and with her age three, I am not shelling out to replace it).
So I walk. Very fast as I said. And she scooters. But she's three! I wouldn't allow her to go 'faster than I can run' anywhere near cars, people, Tarmac. Basically I'd be scared if she was going that fast uncontrollably and in a helmet she'd end up doing serious damage to an innocent pedestrian by ploughing into them!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now