Talk

Advanced search

your suggestions for DDs one year birthday presents please

(24 Posts)
tobearornottobear Sat 27-Aug-11 23:41:51

Hi y'all

So all recommendations of really good toys or gifts welcomed.....wot does ur little one love??

TIA!

mathanxiety Sun 28-Aug-11 06:25:45

They all loved big cardboard boxes that large presents came in hmm. If I had it over, I'd buy packing boxes, the really big ones.

mistressploppy Sun 28-Aug-11 07:16:33

Ooh.

Duplo
Mini trampoline
Smart trike
Toy garage thing
Hammering thing
These books

ellesabe Sun 28-Aug-11 15:08:42

We are going to give dd a little armchair that she can sit on in the living room.

Other suggestions:
bath crayons,
height chart for the bedroom wall,
a little backpack for her to carry her toys around in.

BeeMyBaby Sun 28-Aug-11 15:32:45

agree with the mini trampoline if you can afford it, not so sure about the smart trike as I don't think children can peddle till they are well over two? We got DD a nice doll for her birthday, I also agree with mathan that cardboard boxes are amazing, DD loves to be dragged about in one, but if you want something similar to a cardboard box but with more strength, a billibo is good too.

NormaStanleyFletcher Sun 28-Aug-11 15:34:29

Wrapping paper and boxes

Carrotsandcelery Sun 28-Aug-11 15:36:14

A little people house or garage or similar - ours still played with theirs when they were 5.

Don't buy a lot as they don't understand or appreciate it - you will have the expensive gift requests soon enough!

madwomanintheattic Sun 28-Aug-11 16:01:12

we didn't buy dd1 anything. lots of other people did. she's a january birthday, and we bought her a toddler slide in the summer and called it her birthday present.

really, you are present buying for yourself at 1, and are still buying stuff all the time that you 'need' what with constant growing and developing. so a token something if you feel the need, but she won't be at all deprived. bet there'll be a whole host of pressies that you'll be opening with her anyway.

get a cake and a helium balloon. job done. wink

plinkplonk Sun 28-Aug-11 16:21:08

I bought dd1 a toddle truck for her first birthday - wooden with bricks in. We loved it. DD2 got a wheelybug.

Carrotsandcelery Sun 28-Aug-11 16:49:12

My ddad gave ds one of those little push along wagons with the coloured wooden bricks in - it was either ELC or John Lewis. Ds loved it. We eventually put the trolley in the loft but he still plays with the bricks.

Panzee Sun 28-Aug-11 16:50:38

We put money in his bank account.

Iggly Sun 28-Aug-11 17:01:49

DS wasn't bothered by his 1st birthday presents - it's all for the parents wink

he is really getting into specific toys now, approaching his second birthday.

1st birthday - we got a train set and ride on trike which he really started using around 18 months. Plus bath toys and clothes.

mistressploppy Sun 28-Aug-11 19:21:37

Bee - our trike has little foot rests for them to use before they can pedal; you can just push 'em along by the handle or let them paddle along the ground until they eventually learn

tobearornottobear Sun 28-Aug-11 21:56:49

I should say that this is my third dc but i honest to god cannot remember what we got either of the first two....big gaps i blame it on...they seven and twelve.

Thanks for all suggestions. Gonna go for wheelybug as that has great reviews on amazon and bought her today some bath toys of winnie the pooh from disney store and far too many clothes from the Next AW collection....

Will leave rest of toys to everyone else to buy!

Daisy1986 Sun 28-Aug-11 23:12:24

I got my DD the ELC garage she preferd the cars to the garage. Sitting on the garage has also been a favourite past time and pulling the yellow sign off of it but only just started playing with it properly now. Shes 2 next month

Daisy1986 Sun 28-Aug-11 23:13:40

Something I wished I had brought her but are quite expensive are puppets she loves them I think The Puppet Company do a nice nursery rhyme set of finger puppets

Pelvicflooragogo Mon 29-Aug-11 21:19:08

The dolly pushchair. Xylophone or any of those little musical instruments. Wooden pegs you can hammer into a little wooden shelf. Any suitable books.

cupcakelover1983 Mon 29-Aug-11 21:30:49

my DS was one last week and we gave him a scramble bug which we bought from amazon and a megabloks work bench. he plays with them every now and then but he loves the mini trampoline my sister bought him. other hit presents were anything with wheels! my niece just turned 2 and she loved the doll we got her for her 1st birthday. she also loves her buggy for her doll. I hope that helps!

Flossie69 Mon 29-Aug-11 21:42:17

I got my DD some Happyland stuff from ELC. Her first birthday was in May, but I bought it in March, as there was a fab sale on, and I got a village set with several items in for half-price, (£30). grin

It says its suitable from 18 months, but she played with it straightaway, and now at 15 months is getting the hang of putting the people in the houses. I think she will get quite a few more years out of it, so worth the initial cost. It is also something that you or other family members can easily add to.

missorinoco Mon 29-Aug-11 21:46:31

Your DC won't remember, buy yourself something to congratulate yourself on giving birth a year ago.
Failing that an sand and water table went down a treat.

RalphGnu Tue 30-Aug-11 10:32:56

Don't spend lots! I made that mistake last year and he couldn't have been less interested in all the expensive things he got. He loved the Playskool Busy Ball Popper, but be warned that it will make you want to throw the bloody thing out of the window after a week.

His most loved present was a drum and drumsticks, he still happily bangs it now.

NoTeaForMe Wed 31-Aug-11 11:51:58

I've been wondering this myself. We might just get her a helium balloon (!) but we have friends and family asking us what to get her. They've all said they'd like to buy her something and not just give money, so all ideas welcome!

FrozenNorthPole Wed 31-Aug-11 12:51:22

Books, books and more books. Percussion instruments that you regret after ten minutes good too. Nothing expensive.

feetheart Wed 31-Aug-11 13:01:51

We bought DD a gold charm bracelet and have added a charm every year (she was 8 this year). Other people bought toys/clothes/etc.

Much harder to find similar sort of present for DS at that age, got him a tiny, tiny silver train in the end which comes out and goes onto his cake every year (now 5).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now