Talk

Advanced search

Do I need to keep umbilical cord dry?

(7 Posts)
Catsu Sat 27-Aug-11 09:12:44

Dd is 4 days old and still has clamp on her cord.
I am going to give her a bath but am not sure if it is ok to submerge the cord and clamp in the water or if I should be keeping if dry till it drops off...
Does anyone know?
Thanks!

amistillsexy Sat 27-Aug-11 09:32:06

It will probably drop off very soon anyway. When you've bathed Dd, just dry really gently around the base of the cord with a bit of cotton wool. Sometimes the clamp is really close to the body, in which case it can be hard to dry under it, but do your best and don't worry, as it will drop off anyway, so no time to get manky really!

Congratulations on your Dd. I wish I had a little tiny one to cuddle! My 3 are all marauding round the kitchen right now!

Enjoy Dd's first bath! (take photos-you won't believe how tiny she was in years to come!)

smile

Octaviapink Sat 27-Aug-11 12:29:48

I wouldn't bother with a bath until the cord's off. A gentle wipe will do and the cord will be off in a day or so anyway. It's not like she's getting dirty!

TheMitfordsMaid Sat 27-Aug-11 12:32:59

I wouldn't bother with a bath either. DS2 didn't get bathed for weeks, if I recall correctly. He didn't see soap until he got mobile!

But yes, you do need to keep it dry.

naturalbaby Sat 27-Aug-11 14:28:33

i didn't bath any of mine till the cord came off. 2 weeks with ds1 (hanging on by a corner for days, midwife twisted it off in the end so she could discharge us!) and about a week with the other 2. it would probably be fine anyway but fall off quicker i think if totally dry.

Timeoutofmind Sat 27-Aug-11 17:32:40

Also remember to keep it outside of the nappy then it will dry out and fall off sooner.

My DDs fell off after a week and I had bathed her for the first time the day before

mathanxiety Sun 28-Aug-11 06:48:11

I was told no bath until the cord drops off and to use rubbing alcohol dipped in a cotton ball on the stump to speed the drying and keep germs at bay. You should get the HV or GP to take the clamp off though, as it can catch in the nappy or clothing very easily and you don't want any tearing. I topped and tailed until they dropped off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now