Talk

Advanced search

what was I thinking?? Cooking for 20+ people...

(8 Posts)
Thirstysomething Wed 24-Aug-11 20:33:56

Three small children, 23 weeks pregnant, half a glass of wine... and I invited everyone I knew to come for supper on Saturday night. What was I thinking?!
What can I cook for so many? DH pretty handy on the barbeque, but what if it rains...
We have three adults and three kids staying for the weekend as well, so I am going to have to be out all day on Sat entertaining them. Any brilliant ideas for something I can cook ahead and just reheat? Not the worlds greatest cook, but can follow a recipe. Otherwise they are just going to get a sausage in a bun!
thanks for any advice

iklboo Wed 24-Aug-11 20:43:01

Pans of chilli, hot pot, corned beef hash etc with crusty bread & sides of pickled cabbage/onions etc. Actually, if you ARE doing that, can I come?

jmjam Wed 24-Aug-11 21:06:10

Big pot of chilli or Bolognese always tastes better when reheated. Just have to do rice/tortilla chips and dips or pasta/garlic bread and salad on the day. Good luck! X

bejeezus Wed 24-Aug-11 23:17:42

cancel them all! are you mad?

ja9 Wed 24-Aug-11 23:28:54

chilli sounds good.

i'd be tempted to do baked potatoes - whack them all in the oven for an hour or two and serve with variety of fillings and a salad. Coronation chicken from tescos is delish in bkd tats... Lay it all out on a table with a stack of plates and tell them to stretch or starve. Good luck!

ripstheirthroatoutliveupstairs Thu 25-Aug-11 08:54:37

Sausage casserole and jacket pots. Simple and most people like it, if they don't tough tit.

SecretCodesandBattleships Thu 25-Aug-11 09:33:51

Oh god it sounds like my worst nightmare! I'd cancel grin or else order takeaways which could be pricey! If that's not an option then I'd go for anything in the slow cooker that you can cook in bulk. You've had good suggestions like cassarole and chilli etc. Spaghetti bolognaise is really simple and most people like it, just buy some sliced garlic bread from tesco to serve it with, only takes 5 mins in oven from frozen and is delicious!

Thirstysomething Thu 25-Aug-11 17:45:15

Chilli or bolognese it is!!
thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now