Talk

Advanced search

Tinned mackerel and what?

(12 Posts)
WhoahThere Wed 24-Aug-11 17:38:45

I want to give dd some fish for tea and have tinned mackerel in the cupboard - what can I put it with that's not bread as she's had enough bread today?

Also posted in weaning but could do with a speedy answer - tea's meant to be in 20 mins!

spout Wed 24-Aug-11 17:45:00

I'd mix it with some cream cheese and use it as a sauce for pasta.

WhoahThere Wed 24-Aug-11 17:50:00

Thanks spout, will do!

spout Wed 24-Aug-11 17:53:08

maybe shove a few peas in wink

WhoahThere Wed 24-Aug-11 18:04:27

Oooh, dd's first peas!

EvaPeron Wed 24-Aug-11 20:46:28

Bit late, but when DS was about 8 months he liked his sardines with strawberry fromage frais!

Tigresswoods Wed 24-Aug-11 22:05:40

Boak

WhoahThere Wed 24-Aug-11 22:17:14

Eva funny you should say that - dd loved the mackerel and pasta so much that she ate about 20 times more than I've ever seen before... so I thought I'd chance my luck with a pud, and she wolfed down an apricot fromage frais while continuing to pick at the fish!

Babies are weird.

bloodymumps Wed 24-Aug-11 22:34:41

I know this is too late but I just wanted to say my favourite way to have tinned mackerel is as follows:

Steam some rice . Add into the pan some chopped carrots and green beans so they cook at same time.
Sweat one onion in a frying pan or saucepan, add the cooked rice and veg, mix in some mild curry powder and the mackerel, broken into chunks, cook until fish heated through. Season to taste.

You can use leftover rice and veg, too, so its great for using up stuff in the fridge!!

Pishwife Wed 24-Aug-11 22:41:34

I like tinned mackerel kedgeree-type-thing too, a bit like what bloodymumps describes... We have it with chopped omelette, fried onions, petit pois & basmati rice with a squeeze of lemon & splash of soy sauce. Sounds gross, tastes yummy.

Tinned mackerel goes really well with scrambled eggs & muffins, too.

The best thing about tinned mackerel is that any bones are softened by the oil & unlikely to get stuck in the throat.

pellmell Wed 24-Aug-11 22:45:05

one of my dd's favourite meals...tinned mackerel , jacket spud and beans all mashed up together!

WhoahThere Thu 25-Aug-11 09:24:23

Thanks all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now