Talk

Advanced search

7 mo's 'friendly' hair pulling and grabbing

(8 Posts)
Turtlesmile Tue 23-Aug-11 21:06:00

DD is currently into everything, crawling, pulling herself up etc. Unfortunately, her explorations are including other babies rather too much. When she's down on the floor playing and another baby is there she immediately wants to crawl over and 'greet' them by grabbing their face or hair which naturally makes them cry. I try to stop her as much as possible by pulling her hand back or distracting her, and always tell her no, but I don't seem to be putting her off. I might be being sensitive, but it seems that other babies at the groups I go to don't do this, so it's making me feel uneasy about going out to things, which obviously isn't going to help. Has anyone else had this problem? Any ideas how I can dissuade her? Thanks.

SouthernFriedTofu Tue 23-Aug-11 21:07:42

dd same age does this.

Make sure you keep her nails clipped and a close eye on her! Not much else you can do I don't think

RitaMorgan Tue 23-Aug-11 21:10:22

You just have to watch her like a hawk and dive in before she does it I'm afraid. My ds was a hair puller too for a while but has stopped doing it now.

Turtlesmile Tue 23-Aug-11 21:10:37

Thanks, SouthernFriedTofu, nice to know I'm not the only one!

PinkEmily Tue 23-Aug-11 21:41:42

I've got one of those! She's 10 months now and I just have to be on my guard and dive in if it looks like she's going to grab. I wouldn't keep her away from groups because of it, they're doing wonders for her socially, I just feel I have to be more on my guard than most.

We have cats, she pulled a fair few fistfuls of fur from them when she first started crawling and of course got a reaction (hisses etc) before the cats learnt and now give her a wide berth. I thought perhaps this is why she does it.

I just keep repeating the phrase 'gentle' or 'nicely' - I'm not sure she understands yet but I hope it won't be long until she does!

Ray81 Wed 24-Aug-11 17:28:48

I have one that also does this although D is 15 months, it has only been a couple of weeks but i am very embarrassed by it. Will be interesting to know if anyone has any suggestions how to stop it as like you i move her away and say no firmly but she doesnt seem to be getting it.

mumatron Wed 24-Aug-11 17:46:00

If the other babies aren't doing it, it's just a matter of time before they are. Ime all babies go through this stage.

Just keep an eye on her. She'll grow out of it eventually

Turtlesmile Fri 26-Aug-11 12:31:42

Thanks, everyone, very reassuring. And good luck to those in the same boat - nice to know we're not alone!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now