Talk

Advanced search

Chicken pox dilemma

(8 Posts)
BigHotMama Sat 20-Aug-11 12:00:52

Am in a dilemma and need some advice

My son is having a birthday party tomorrow and my neice has got chicken pox - she was meant to be coming.

She had spots appear on Wednesday and apparently spots have scabbed over - can this be true?

Really didn't want her to come as too risky I am 17 weeks pg and there will be lots of other kids there Inc younger babies.

Am I being too protective or should I say she can come as scabbed over??

I have had mild c pox before but my son has caught it twice so I possibly could

Head says no but feel bad if she isn't contagious

Any advice appreciated thanks smile

MagnumIcecreamAddict Sat 20-Aug-11 12:04:50

I wouldn't let her come when pregnant - risk too high and I'm suprised her mum would even suggest it.

Maybe offer to have a special small party in a couple of weeks just for your DS and her?

LawrieMarlow Sat 20-Aug-11 12:05:02

I would say she can't come.3 days is too soon for all spots to have scabbed over - she could still be contagious.

SoupDragon Sat 20-Aug-11 12:08:12

3 days is too soon. It's not fair on the other children attending.

I wouldn't worry on your part particularly though... If you've had it and then been exposed to it via your son twice and not caught it again, you are most likely immune.

BigHotMama Sat 20-Aug-11 12:26:11

This is what my gut instinct is saying I want to protect kids at the party and think it's responsible to keep her away. It's usually 5 days for scabs to appear so she most definitely could still be contagious.

Thanks for putting mind at ease as dh had started to make me feel a bit guilty incase she is not contagious, it's just not worth the risk or worry.

SoupDragon Sat 20-Aug-11 12:37:53

None of the parents of the other children will be disappointed that a potentially still contagious child is not there. A good number would be pissed off if she were to attend smile

MrsRhettButler Sat 20-Aug-11 12:41:18

Couldn't you say you've consulted your doctor and he/she has said it's not safe?

That way it's not you being the 'meanie'

LawrieMarlow Sun 21-Aug-11 21:50:59

What did you do in the end?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now