Talk

Advanced search

Please convince me that DD will be ok at nursery!

(11 Posts)
WhoahThere Wed 17-Aug-11 21:55:54

It's a lovely nursery, I have to go back to work, I'm sure it's the right decision after looking at all the options.... at least that's what my rational brain says.

But I am weeping into the washing up at the thought of her feeling like I've abandoned her..... how can I possibly leave my gorgeous DD with a load of strangers?

Please help.

LynetteScavo Wed 17-Aug-11 21:58:55

Can you help settle her in, so that by the time you are working, they will not be strangers, but friends?

babyocho Wed 17-Aug-11 22:00:20

How old is she and how many days is she going?

When I went back to work and DD to nursery (she was 13mo), I was in bits. But she was fine and I was fine. But it did take us both a while to adjust, and there will be tears until you both adjust to the new routine.

babyocho Wed 17-Aug-11 22:02:04

and you will be able to call during the day, the nursery staff will give you updates when you collect her.

Mishy1234 Wed 17-Aug-11 22:08:18

You have to go back to work, so that is non-negotiable. You have found a lovely nursery which you're happy with and that's the important thing.

There will be a period of transition for you both which may be a little tough, but you will both be fine. I have done it once (will be doing it again in few months) and it is hard, but far worse in your head than it is in reality.

Be prepared for a few tears (from you both!), but try not to blow it out of proportion. You are DOING YOUR BEST and that's all you can be expected to do. Your DD will be fine and the time will come when she'll rush off to play without a backwards glance.

Try not to lose sleep over it and make yourself upset. You will both be fine.

WhoahThere Wed 17-Aug-11 22:09:54

She'll be 10 months, there will be 3 (or more if needed) settling in visits, then she'll start with 2 days/wk for the first month, moving to 4 days after that. I think it's just hit home how hard it's going to be, leaving her.

tallulah Wed 17-Aug-11 22:13:47

Mine started at a similar age, initially for 3 days a week and then full time 5 months later. She loved nursery (and still does). If you are happy with the one you have chosen she will be fine.

My DD is about to start school. It has been so lovely to watch her go into nursery and be gathered up for a huge cuddle by her keyworker. Then to collect her and get "I can't leave until I've finished this story". We won't get that at school sad

Mishy1234 Wed 17-Aug-11 22:13:55

It's a period of adjustment for both of you, but your plan to ease into things is a good one. 2 days per week for the first month is manageable and will give you both time to find your feet. Try to think of this as the next phase in your adventure together.

tallulah Wed 17-Aug-11 22:14:46

Just think, you'll be able to drink a cup of coffee while it's hot, and go for a wee in peace grin

jumpyjan Wed 17-Aug-11 22:27:28

I felt like you do now about four years ago. Now I feel emotional because she has to say goodbye to nursery as she starts school. Nursery has played such a big part in making her the confident happy sociable kind little girl that she is. Your DD will gain so much from nursery so please dont beat yourself up about it.

WhoahThere Wed 17-Aug-11 22:44:31

Oh thanks all, that really helps!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now