Talk

Advanced search

best friends - bad influence

(4 Posts)
onyva Tue 16-Aug-11 19:14:41

I really am desperate as crazy as this may sound.

My 4 year old's best friend is very difficult and demanding. His parents give in to whatever he wants as he becomes VERY if he does not get his own way. He has apparently been asking about my son every day since the holidays began and today she left a message asking if her son could come and play at ours tomorrow. He told his mum he would prefer to come to ours. We have enrolled our son at a new school so he will get distance from this friend but his parents keep calling us and inviting their son round. I was hoping they may stop. The worst thing is, that they are actually nice people (just have very different parenting ideas)and I dont want to offend them.

any ideas or tips would be VERY GRATEFULLY received

Jemma1111 Tue 16-Aug-11 19:22:22

Does your son want him to come and play ?

If so then I would invite him and see how it goes, if he throws a tantrum etc then I would let him know (and his parents) that you won't tolerate bad behaviour if he's ever to visit again

mrsravelstein Tue 16-Aug-11 19:25:14

they change best friends a lot around that age so i wouldn't worry about it too much - just invite the kid round when your son wants to see him and not otherwise.

onyva Tue 16-Aug-11 19:49:36

He always wants to see him but this child leads him astray. My son is a follower and just does whatever this friend says. Trying to break the 'bond' is not easy with the parents calling so much. If I told them their son had behaved in a way I wasn't happy about, they would not agree with me as what they think is acceptable is different to me!

Although I agree they do change friends a lot this age, this friend is obsessed with my son for some reason and wont let go and they do whatever he wants to get some peace (whilst he is at ours). He is a very dominating child and has found another child (my son) who will let him be so

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now