Talk

Advanced search

Is there a way to reduce the 1 hour+ of holding a dummy in my 9 week old DS to get him to sleep at night?

(8 Posts)
gill899 Sun 14-Aug-11 08:04:50

My DS now 9 weeks used to have a 5 hour screaming episode where nothing soothed him. We reluctantly started using a dummy which has worked brilliantly and only get 5 minutes of screaming now! We now have to sit there for an hour or more replacing his dummy every time he spits it out, keeping our finger against it most of the time as he doesn't hold onto it properly during this time. Does anybody have any suggestions as to how I can reduce the need to hold the dummy in DS mouth during this time please?

HarperSeven Sun 14-Aug-11 08:17:23

This nearly drove me nuts, you have my sympathies. I'll tell you what someone told me by way of support. Your being there, to hold the dummy in (or in my case, replace it about 30 times every time he went to bed) is nurturing. It's an important job!

We tried folding a muslin under the dummy while he slept on his side to keep the dummy in... it didn't work.

Poshbaggirl Sun 14-Aug-11 08:29:53

Cuddling instead? He's only a ickle tiny baby!

gill899 Sun 14-Aug-11 11:29:24

Thanks HarperSeven... Yes I think you are right that nuturing is very important. It's not so bad! Poshbaggirl my DS is more happy lying down at this time of night and wakes if I try to put him down from cuddling him. Thanks anyway.

Octaviapink Sun 14-Aug-11 12:07:31

Why not just feed him to sleep? He clearly gets a lot of comfort from sucking as do most babies. Don't believe anyone who uses the words 'rod' and 'back'! I agree with Poshbaggirl that cuddling might be better - physical contact is essential for good brain development - and easier in the long term as dummies are a VERY hard habit to break. You do have to carry on holding them for about ten minutes after they fall asleep though - until they go floppy and you can put them down without waking. The mistake most people make is to try and put them down as soon as they're asleep, which wakes them up.

Zimm Sun 14-Aug-11 14:54:07

OP why on earth are you doing this? A nine week old wants cuddles or to be fed to sleep not to have rubber held in his mouth. I'm sorry it just sounds so odd. Cuddle/feed him to sleep and only put him down 15 minutes after he has fallen asleep. You could also put a hot water bottle in his bed to warm it and then remove it before putting him down so the cold does not wake him. You have my sympathy 9 weeks is really tough time as the novelty etc has worn off and you're just in it for the slog! But I really would stop doing this.

HarperSeven Sun 14-Aug-11 16:41:30

Zimm - think you mean well but you sound like a judgemental know it all. Many babies do have a strong 'sucking' reflex. Mummy's boob might be their preference, but they can't have that all the time, if at all. Unless you plan to have your baby strapped to you for many months, they can't just suck on your boob whenever they want comfort or a feed. While many babies won't take dummies - many others find it very comforting and it helps them sleep.

Actually OP, I remember when I was going through this, I watched a video called 'The Happiest Baby on the Block' (thereby setting myself up for failure), which suggested that if the baby doesn't hold the dummy in, you should gently pull against it when they are sucking it, so they develop the instinct to hold it in by themselves. Video also recommended shushing and rocking.

Zimm Sun 14-Aug-11 18:13:05

I wasn't being judgemental _ I totally get why the OP might do this - you do whatever works. but I think in this instance the OP is possibly creating a long term problem for herself - holding a dummy in every night! I did suggest cuddles not just a boob - and I'm not going to accept that a dummy is better than a cuddle. The OP is being forced to sit with the baby anyway so she may as well cuddle him as hold a dummy in his mouth IMHO.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now