Talk

Advanced search

Only children

(4 Posts)
burtie2u Wed 10-Aug-11 15:38:12

Hi there, Our DS will be 3 in November and out of the blue yesterday asked for a sister!!! No idea where that came from!
The thing is we wanted a child so much and had to go through a lot to have him I have always felt very privileged and lucky to have him and have never thought of having another, as I didn't want to push my luck confused
But I worry that he will miss out with not having any siblings; he's a VERY confident and very friendly child, I have friends who were only children and they said they loved it, but I still feel a little guilty and torn.
So what are the pros and cons of having only one?

babyocho Wed 10-Aug-11 15:43:28

My DD is 3.5yo and I would love more, but I don't think it's going to happen for me. She also talks about a brother or sister sometimes, probably because lots of other children she knows are having new siblings.

From my own experience, you really being to appreciate siblings as you get older. I am not massively close to mine, but I can really depend on them if I need help. It makes me a little sad that my DD will not have that (but has great cousins!).

2kidsintow Wed 10-Aug-11 17:08:36

I have two and am stopping at two. The youngest has just asked for a younger brother or sister. She isn't getting one.

My sister has one.

Pros - more time and money to spend on just one. The young baby stage is over with quicker. Two take up more space and more time. No arguments between siblings with only one- you should see my sister wince when my two go at it because she isn't used to it. Only one lot of toys for one age group.

Cons - can be easy to spoil. If they don't mix they don't have much practice having to share (nota prob if spend time playing with lots of other children at friend's houses/nursery/childminer).
My friend who only has one worries about very far down the line, when she goes and her only child is left to sort it out on his own with no sibs to help.

burtie2u Thu 11-Aug-11 08:50:02

Thank you all,
Most of the time I just want DS and love the fact he has one to one, but it's just I have a brother and so does my DH, sometimes I think DS might be missing out. DS starts pre-school in September so I think he will hopefully have loads of new friends to take his mind of a sister.
I think I will just stay on the pill and leave it for a while, but time is ticking as I'm 28 this year sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now