Talk

Advanced search

Is it ok to stop using bottles for milk at 9 months?

(9 Posts)
fraggle73 Tue 09-Aug-11 12:50:25

my dd is 9 months old and is happy to use a beaker for her water and fruit juice. I tried her with milk and she happily drank it. I know it is recommended to stop using bottles after the age of 1. Is it ok if I stop using bottles at 9 months?

Tee2072 Tue 09-Aug-11 12:51:57

Stop using them whenever you want. If she'll drink from a beaker, give her a beaker.

Tortoiseonthehalfshell Tue 09-Aug-11 12:55:20

Gosh, if mine had been happy with that I'd have been thrilled. There's no intrinsic value to bottles at all, beakers are better and easier to keep clean. Go for it.

Pootles2010 Tue 09-Aug-11 12:56:21

Lucky you! Yes absolutely, its a nightmare prising their bottles off them when they're older. Much better for her teeth to not use bottles.

IAmTheCookieMonster Tue 09-Aug-11 13:06:15

I thought it was recommended to try to have them completely off bottles by 1, so well done!

GrimmaTheNome Tue 09-Aug-11 13:06:36

Absolutely - the 1 year is supposed to be the upper age for bottle use I think - though obviously many children of that age prefer them and it can be hard to wean them off. If your DD is happy with beakers that's great!

fraggle73 Tue 09-Aug-11 14:18:12

can anyone recommend a beaker asi think the one i have is too fast for milk.

YouDoTheMath Tue 09-Aug-11 14:44:42

I'm glad I read this - my DD is 15 months and still has a bottle twice a day! Whoops...

Will try and get her to drink her milk from a beaker...

GrimmaTheNome Tue 09-Aug-11 15:20:33

You could try the Avent 'spouts' for the milk - they are designed as a transitional thing. (May be useful for getting older kids off bottles too)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now