Talk

Advanced search

Babies are 6 weeks - now what?

(12 Posts)
BrassicaBabe Tue 09-Aug-11 11:38:45

Hi

I need some help filling my time! I have 6 week old twins. Don't get me wrong, life is busy. But they also sleep quote a lot and they are quite portable at the moment in that I can take bottles with me etc.

I'm finding that I'm spending an awful lot of time on the internet (end up spending money!!) or in front of the telly (I'm nearly Sky +'ing Heir Hunters and Homes under the Hammer!!).

What else can I do with my time? I find walking for the sake of walking pointless. All my friends work and so are busy during the day.

I briefly looked at mum and toddler groups, but then I have babies for heavens sake and they aren't quite up to interacting yet grin

Help, I'm new to this SAHM lark and don't know what to do with myself!

Thanks

Octaviapink Tue 09-Aug-11 11:41:10

Learn to knit! You will never ever have enough time again.

Cleverything Tue 09-Aug-11 11:42:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Cleverything Tue 09-Aug-11 11:42:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WoTmania Tue 09-Aug-11 11:45:39

I hate mother and baby/toddler groups BUT they can be useful for meeting likeminded folk. Sounds mercenary but even if you jsut meet some other mums you can go for coffee with it gets you out of the house and some adult company.

Octaviapink Tue 09-Aug-11 11:57:13

I hate mum-and-baby groups too. I really wish there was a way of meeting other families that didn't involve them!

WoTmania Tue 09-Aug-11 18:30:26

local NCT mighht have a social evening

VeronicaCake Tue 09-Aug-11 20:08:26

When DD was 6 weeks old we went to an NCT Bumps and Babes group once a week which I loved. Not everyone's cup of tea though. We also did a four week baby massage course, though that might be harder with twins, and I went to a postnatal yoga class, the idea being DD slept peacefully whilst I stretched. For the first few months I watched a lot of yoga whilst breastfeeding, but once she was 4m and happy to play on a baby gym for a bit it got better!

I met lots of nice people through these things so also spent a lot of time in cafes eating cake.

IAmTheCookieMonster Tue 09-Aug-11 20:18:43

not all baby and toddler groups are the same, i'd try a couple out and find one that suits you.

If you don't like them then at least you've made some friends you can meet up with for coffee.

One of my baby group friends started going when her ds was 6 weeks old to get out of the house and get him used to groups.

breadcrumbs Tue 09-Aug-11 20:28:22

Ask your HV if there's a 'first baby group' in your area. We had one that took mums and babies to 6 months old. We met other mums, had drink and biccie, and the leader (a nursery nurse) led a different topic each week on subjects like weaning, tooth care, carseats, basic first aid, etc. Was gentle and fun and very informative.

And toddler groups arent actually for the kids, they're for the mums/carers to gossip and drink coffee grin so you're better off with babies who dont demand all your attention!

Oneofthemaddingcrowd Tue 09-Aug-11 20:36:30

See if there is a Childrens' Centre near you, if so they'll probably be running something suitable.

I did:
Baby massage (at childrens centre)
Baby singing group at local library
Mum and baby yoga (privately run)
Swimming - but appreciate this will be tricky with twins.

Also are there some nice coffee shops you could start frequenting? It's another way to meet other mums and also it won't be long before your babies are more mobile so make the most of this period when they are sleeping lots!

Or is there a local twin group - you could check with Tamba?

SouthGoingZax Tue 09-Aug-11 20:42:11

OMG! When my DTs were 6 weeks old I was dong nothing but feeding them and sleeping (an they never slept at the same time).

If we managed one thing a day (e.g. take some pics, go for a walk), I was really pleased!

sounds like you are dong brill!
smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now