Talk

Advanced search

What do you do with a baby all day?

(11 Posts)
jasmine51 Sun 07-Aug-11 12:18:54

Sorry to be so naive but this is my first DS and he is 6 wks old. Now he is more alert and awake most of the time what am I supposed to do with him? I can play with him of course, and he loves the interraction, but is that what I need to do every hour he is awake? Going to the shops and for walks is easy...but what do you do with a small baby in the house the rest of the time? Can I plonk him in the bouncer and leave him staring into space whilst I do my housework? I am on my own here so no other DCs or DH to take over. I realise I sound like a right dunce so please be gentle with me!

ShowOfHands Sun 07-Aug-11 12:25:17

Whatever gets you through and keeps them happy.

DD wouldn't sit in a bouncer at all. I presume if they're happy to sit there (they have toys on the front of them usually iirc) they will. If not, they'll squawk. DD did, as soon as she saw the damn thing.

I have no idea what I did. Went out. Walked. Stuck dd in a sling and got on with things. Cried a bit. Wondered when it would end. That sort of thing.

Babies are rather good at expressing emotions. If you are able to put him down and take a few minutes, do it.

Oh we bathed together a lot. I remember that.

mistressploppy Sun 07-Aug-11 12:36:25

I remember thinking this. I even asked the HV what I should be doing with DS when he was around that age!

DS spent a lot of time on a play-gym mat thing at that age, pretty much staring into space, yes grin

I remember talking to myself him a lot too. You feel like a tit at first but it gets easier.

They don't need entertaining as such; just being able to see and hear 'stuff' is enough really. Please yourself as much as you can!

YouDoTheMath Sun 07-Aug-11 12:37:18

Of course you can put him in a bouncer, if he seems content. He will watch what's going on around him/listen to sounds of the house, and he might drop off to sleep.

An0therName Sun 07-Aug-11 19:25:06

At that age if they are happy to lie on boucer or blanket then I carried them round the house while I did things. But do make sure you get out and about as well - there are usually lots of baby groups and post natal exercise classes around - so you meet people

DuelingFanjo Sun 07-Aug-11 19:49:24

If you breastfeed you might be able to find a breastfeeding group, if not then baby massage got me out too. I found the days with just me and the baby and nothing planned the hardest - I didn't really do housework in the early weeks as everytime I started something it was interrupted by the baby waking up.

It may sound silly but I got the baby a library card and went to the library once a week to choose books which I read to him. It was just something else to do really.

StrandedBear Sun 07-Aug-11 20:14:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

pjd Sun 07-Aug-11 20:15:42

I joined as many groups/did as many activities as I could - baby signing, baby massage, baby swimming.....all far too costly though I soon realised, so started looking for free stuff at local Children's Centre. I needed to be out of the house every day though, I found myself feeling very frustrated if at home too much.

mrspants Sun 07-Aug-11 20:23:32

Oh God, I so remember this. Really desperate myself at that age. I also remember having loads of baths together. Short trips to shops, parks, anywhere really. It does get better though, honestly. Join all the groups you can. there will be something you can get on with

BigusBumus Sun 07-Aug-11 20:38:32

Please don't worry that your DS will be somehow neglected if you don't stick your face in front of him 24/7. I used to put my DSs in their seat thing (that we called The Tray) and just get on with housework or whatever and cart them from room to room. Tbh there isn't a lot of actual play you can do with a 6 week old, beyond making clicking/squeaky noises to see if they smile... In fact, try and enjoy these interaction-free early weeks, as having to do proper play (bricks, Lego, swords, cars, power rangers etc) later on is mind numbing. grin

BlueChampagne Mon 08-Aug-11 15:45:21

Walks with sling, museums, galleries, botanic gardens, shopping, post-natal yoga, coffee with other Mums, pub lunches, visits to friends, SureStart new parents' group, weigh-ins ... If you're feeling OK there's lots you can do to please yourself and baby goes too, and it doesn't have to cost the earth. Your HV should have some ideas.

Actually when they're tiny you can often do more than when they're older!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now