Talk

Advanced search

Tell me how much pocket money your 9 year old gets and if they have to earn it

(19 Posts)
DrNortherner Sat 06-Aug-11 20:45:33

My ds is 9 and currently gets nada. He wants to start getting pocket money. I'd like to know the going rate.

Thanks smile

Earlybird Sat 06-Aug-11 20:51:54

DD is 10 years old, and gets £9 per week split as follows:

£4 to spend as she likes
£4 to save (have opened a savings account and we periodically go make a deposit with accumulated funds)
£1 to give to charity

She has responsibilities around the house, but chores are not linked to pocket money. If she wants to earn more, she can do so by doing 'extra' (this rarely happens! grin).

nojustificationneeded Sat 06-Aug-11 21:47:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

nojustificationneeded Sat 06-Aug-11 21:49:53

HerRoyalNotness Sat 06-Aug-11 21:52:39

We've started the £ per week per year of age too. Got this idea from BIL. Seens to work quite well, and is decent enough that as they are older, it can be saved for holiday spends, the odd bit of clothes that they want to buy for themselves, makeup, magazines, small gifts for friends etc...

Earlybird Sat 06-Aug-11 21:53:34

£9 is the final, but as I said, she only has £4 of that to spend each week - the rest is set aside as described.

Fwiw, she was given a magazine subscription for her birthday so that take the place of a weekly comic and removes that potential 'expense'.

Ragwort Sat 06-Aug-11 21:55:18

£9 for a 10 year old shock

Our 10 year old gets £1 a week and rarely spends it ..... has saved up quite a lot over the years - and we do not buy him magazines, sweets etc <mean parents emoticon>. grin

twinklypearls Sat 06-Aug-11 21:55:30

DD gets £5 a week from us that she has to earn. I don't buy comics or magazines for her.

She does some jobs in the village to earn more money.

Earlybird Sat 06-Aug-11 21:55:37

Fwiw - when we go on holiday, i give her extra to spend. It is always a set amount, so she has to shop/compare, and choose - and stay within her budget. That way, she is responsible with her money, and I don't get endlessly pestered.

rubyrubyruby Sat 06-Aug-11 21:55:55

iheartdusty Sat 06-Aug-11 22:04:35

DD gets £2.50 per week but has recently negotiated it up to £3.

That covers her comics, mags, bits from Claire's Accessories and souvenirs on day trips, but we buy friends' birthday presents and once in a while DH or I can be persuaded to buy something as a treat. She sometimes gets £5 or £10 as holiday spends from grandparents. It lasts her quite well, but the trick is not to put her in spending situations - ie she doesn't get taken to shops every week, so she can save a few weeks' worth and can get something bigger as a result. She generally spends some of it on Moshi Monsters subscriptions. The only thing she isn't allowed to do is buy sweets with it.

DS (7) gets £1.50 because he has a comic subscription. He usually blows the lot on a Club Penguin sub for a few months then forgets all about it.

They don't have to earn it, but they are expected to do jobs. The two things aren't linked together though.

HattiFattner Sat 06-Aug-11 22:14:07

ds2 currently 8, gets £15 per month paid into a bank account. He has to get a dad signature to take it out.

Any extras he pays for himself. Sweeties and daft toys.

He is pretty good with money - he saved up pocket /birthday money for a year to buy a DS, and then the following year saved up for a green machine (like a go-kart that spins around when you pull the handle).

He has to keep his room tidy, lay the table and clear the table with his siblings. He also has to help clean the kitchen. He does what he can to help in the garden if we are working there, and he is our wine monkey - he has to fetch the bottle from the fridge blush. waiting for that little gem to appear in his school news....

He'll get more chores as he gets older. but he will also get more dosh.

nojustificationneeded Sat 06-Aug-11 22:19:39

DrNortherner Sat 06-Aug-11 22:43:30

Thanks all. I was thinking of giving him £5 per week, and then not buying him any stickers/cards/comics etc, if he wants them he buys himself.

Keeping room tidy and setting table is a good idea.

inmysparetime Sun 07-Aug-11 20:00:36

Mine are 9 and 7 y.o. They earn their pocket money doing jobs round the house. I let them set their own prices for jobs, 10p per room for hoovering, 15p a pair to polish shoes, 30p to put a wash on etc. If they work really hard they can earn £4-£5 a week.

MrsShrekTheThird Sun 07-Aug-11 20:14:14

My dses are 10 and 7 and get £1 a week. As some others said, they often save for 6weeks at a time, add the fiver holiday money from grandparents for example, and get something they particularly want or a holiday souvenir. Ds2 collected pocket money for 4 months for a DSi game, then birthday and holiday money for a toy he particularly wanted. DS1's is about to go up to £2 a week, and DD will start to get a small amount of pocket money when she's 6 (unlikely to be the £1 a week yet)

We get friends birthday presents and the occasional comic - if they want more than the ones we are prepared to get, then they buy.

2kidsintow Mon 08-Aug-11 23:32:37

My girls are 6 and 10. They currently get £8 each a month from their Dad into a bank account to save up. They then get £10 each per month from me for spending or saving as they choose.

They have to tidy their rooms and put away their laundry - because that is the job I hate the most! Occasionally they can earn a bit more by doing extra little jobs, like weeding or hoovering, but it doesn't happen often. In school holidays, they often get a little bit of a bonus as we go out more often then as I am on holiday too.

The odd pack of sweets or sheet of stickers when we are doing the weekly shop are not worried about, but anything else they pay from their own money.

A typical conversation...
DD2 - Can I have that DVD...
ME- Yes.
DD2 - From your money?
Me- No, from yours.
DD2- I don't want it then.

Lol.

They have both managed to treat themselves and save up more than £30 each over the last few months.

colditz Mon 08-Aug-11 23:34:58

My 8 year old and 5 year old both get £2 and this is docked 20p per incident of misbehavior.

ChasingSquirrels Mon 08-Aug-11 23:39:52

ds1 is nearly 9 and gets 80p a week (will go up to 90p when he is 9 etc, not sure when that will have to be a more reasonable amount). He saves it and periodically gets things like Yu-Gi-Oh or Match Attax cards. Or saves for something bigger.

He has a NG Kids mag on subscription (clubcard points) and I get sweets and stuff in with the shopping but not a lot.

His Grandma was giving him 50p a week, but then stopped as she is paying for him to do the Fantasy Football that my dad runs.

He also gets pocket money at his dad's house, I think 80p as well. He does much the same with it there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now