Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mummy, where will the baby come out???

(24 Posts)
PIMSoclock Sat 06-Aug-11 20:03:31

Appropriate answers for a (fairly mature but sensitive) six year old??
We are normally quite matter of fact about things, give body parts their proper name etc but this just seems a bit brutal for a 6 year old to comprehend. HELP!

MadameCastafiore Sat 06-Aug-11 20:06:41

I watched some fo the birth stories on Living when I was pregant with DS - DD watched them with me and wasn't phased - answered her questions matter of factly and all she said was yuck!

No lasting psychological damage!

Marne Sat 06-Aug-11 20:08:06

Just tell her the truth, i told dd1 when she was 5 (ish), i was really worried when she asked me, i told her the truth and no more questions were asked.

AuntieMonica Sat 06-Aug-11 20:08:27

a very clever part of a woman's body can stretch when a baby is ready.

or by CS

Herecomesthesciencebint Sat 06-Aug-11 20:12:10

both my two know that the baby grows inside mummys belly and comes out trough a middle bottom betwen the one for the wee and the one for the poo. Why is that brutal? (my 2 Ds's are 4 and 6).

Kids need to know the truth from the outset. You clearly dont ned to give too many gory details but asnswer honestly and simply and they will ask extra questions if they need to.

DS1 (6) has asked how daddy's seed gets from him to mummy. Honestly I think you can give factually correct answers without scaring kids.

Lollyheart Sat 06-Aug-11 20:15:11

I've told dd that babies come out of the birth tunnel and some from the belly she was happy with that, she's 6 smile

CroissantNeuf Sat 06-Aug-11 20:17:00

She may well already have an idea but is checking it with you.

When I was pregnant with DS, DD was 4yo and asked how the baby will get out. She was quite clever as she chose to ask me whilst we were in the car so I couldn't escape answering smile.

Anyway I turned it round and asked her if she knew or could guess and it she did seem to know (well, roughly anyway as she couldn't name parts or specify which 'hole' so to speak, but she had the general idea already)

PIMSoclock Sat 06-Aug-11 22:05:20

Thanks for the posts!
Dc is actually a boy! Not sure if that makes a difference?!
I know it's not brutal, though some of the births on living tv might suggest otherwise!
Ok, will talk to him tomorrow.
Must be a good informative book out there somewhere?!
Anyone seen or used a good one they could recommend?

ShowOfHands Sat 06-Aug-11 22:09:03

Mummy Laid An Egg

How Did I Begin?

Both good books. DD is 4 and has known for at least a year where babies come from, how they get there etc. Simple, honest answers are best. DD is as matter of fact about reproduction as she is about how her kidneys work.

LakeFlyPie Sat 06-Aug-11 22:15:17

Sorry, haven't got a helpful answer to your question but still PMSL at my Mum recounting the tale of my younger DSis aged 5 after the 'where do babies come out of discussion', lying on the bathroom floor as my Mum climbed into the bath.
When asked what she was doing she replied "Looking where I came from" grin

PIMSoclock Sat 06-Aug-11 23:47:29

Thanks soh! Laughing at the thought of laying an egg. Sure would be easier on my pelvic floor than a baby!!!

tigana Sat 06-Aug-11 23:55:47

i have recently had this conversation with ds who is soon to be 6. i'm pregnant and 1 of his friends had told him the baby would come out of my bottom, like a poo.
i told him women have another hole, which the baby will come out of, it is near my bottom, but not the same hole as poo comes from or the one wee comes from.

he grinned because i was talking about poo... then pottered off.

If he had asked i would have told him it was called a vagina. in fact i may have told that...can't remember, i do ten dto go into 'lecture' mode and bore him grin

TheFeministsWife Sun 07-Aug-11 00:01:06

My dds both just accepted it when I told them the truth. I remember DSD asking me when she was 5 where a baby came out, I was a bit reluctant to tell her but did and she just took it in her stride. DD1 asked me when she was 6, I thought it would freak her out but it didn't. I don't actually remember telling dd2 (who is 4) but she knows so she's either heard me talking about it with dd1 or dd1 has told her, either way she doesn't seem to bothered really. She said earlier today actually, "A baby comes out of a mummy's bum", I said,
"Yes but the front bum," She said, "Yes, mummy when you had me, you needed a wee out your front bum and I came out too". grin If only it were that easy!

Pishwife Sun 07-Aug-11 00:08:49

Let's Talk About Sex is good, DD has had it on her shelf for years but only just showing an interest now aged 8. It's quite text-heavy though.

Sleepglorioussleep Sun 07-Aug-11 08:56:07

Tell the truth. A hole between the ones for poo and wee will stop the confusion I had when little-every time I went for a poo for a while after I sort of found out I expected a baby to appear! Also, tackling that one now will make you feel more confident when the "and how did the baby get there?" questions.

An0therName Sun 07-Aug-11 09:13:18

I told my DS1 (4 at the time) a special hole - he told me the other day now 5 -- girls are strange they have 3 holes - one for poo, one for wee and one to lay the baby!

Himalaya Sun 07-Aug-11 09:13:45

I wouldn't recommend 'mummy laid an egg' - it's funny but confusing rather than enlightening IMO.

I have done the 'demonstration' that the midwife did of pushing a baby doll through a turtle neck jumper (cervix) with my boys! I think (as someone said unthread said) that the baby comes out of a hole 'down there' is not that surprising, but that it comes out head first is..

Sleepglorioussleep Sun 07-Aug-11 10:58:38

I agree with mummy laid an egg - although cartoony style I think it's more for older children. Brilliant if you're nervous about answering how did it get in there questions and want a light hearted way in.

colditz Sun 07-Aug-11 11:09:37

It comes out of a special hole called a vagina. Vaginas stretch and the baby comes out head first, like a chicken laying an egg, or like having a giant poo, just not out of your bottom.

Continuum Sun 07-Aug-11 11:29:14

ds is 7 and I've explained it just in a straightforward manner about it coming out of the vagina and answering any questions about that, he already roughly knows about it from previous discussions.

I was actually more disturbed explaining to him he was born by c-section and what that involved, but felt I had to as it's more than likely his brother will be born that way as well.

I spent some time yesterday morning drawing women's internals and sperm and egg journeys to explain conception to him and why babies are boys or girls. Drawing sperm is fun! I never have before!!

kickingking Sun 07-Aug-11 11:32:39

"There's a special hole called a vagina for the baby to come out of, betweeen the mum's legs. When the baby is ready, the hole stretches and the mum can push the baby out. It can take quite a long time and be tiring. It can hurt, but the mum can have medicine to help with that."

Said something like that to DS (4.5)

iwasyoungonce Sun 07-Aug-11 11:34:43

It comes out of a hole right next to the one where your wee comes out. It's called a vagina.

My DD has known this since she was about 3, I think. She loves everything about child birth for some reason - even loves watching One Born Every Minute (now aged 5). It hasn't traumatised her as far as I can see!

Sugarkane Sun 07-Aug-11 12:27:28

When my DD3 asked me, I said out of the vagina. She looked at hers said phew its ok mummy I dont have a baby in my gina and wondered off happy.

Sugarkane Sun 07-Aug-11 12:27:53

Sorry should say DD aged 3

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now