Talk

Advanced search

Technology and manners

(6 Posts)
Rosenbud Sat 06-Aug-11 18:17:44

Going on the basis that we model manners to our children I am struggling with how to treat mobile phones: they are constantly on alerting us to phone calls, messages and emails... and more and more now.
If we are in the midst of a conversation or a game, do I pick up if it rings? (signalling that the person at the other end is more important than the person, even the Little Person I am talking to there and then) Do I look when it beeps?
What do you do?

BlueArmyGirl Sat 06-Aug-11 21:24:53

What would you do if it were the house phone?

BlueArmyGirl Sat 06-Aug-11 21:26:20

Personally I hate mobiles at meal times and ban them from the table but I wouldn't answer the house phone if we were eating either - if it's important they'll ring back.

inmysparetime Sun 07-Aug-11 20:05:24

We don't answer phones if we're at the table or during story time. If I'm in the middle of a game, I ask if it's ok with the kids before I get the phone. My mobile never rings anyway, it's usually out of charge or out of earshot ( or both ! ).

Octaviapink Mon 08-Aug-11 19:07:00

If it is going to annoy you (in the future) that they answer the phone when you're talking to them, then don't do it yourself. Don't even look at it. Otherwise you have no basis for complaint down the line!

Rosenbud Mon 08-Aug-11 21:07:28

Thanks! You guys confirmed what I was feeling on the issue.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now