Talk

Advanced search

My 3 yr old still gets up at night.

(8 Posts)
Shoni Fri 05-Aug-11 01:21:56

My daughter is three in three weeks and she still gets up during the night! And comes into our bed and takes up all the space and I'm so restless and tired, any ideas how I can stop this without feeling so guilty,

MmeBucket Fri 05-Aug-11 01:27:05

We had this with our DD. At 13 months, we had to put her in a bed, because she was determined enough to get to us, she managed to crawl out of her cot, even on the lowest setting. We had many battles and were up a lot at night until we mad her a "bed" of blankets on the floor by out bed. She would start out her night in her room, and migrate to ours, but at least she didn't keep us awake with all of her rolling around and flinging. We'd wake up every morning and find her asleep in our room.

It took awhile to get her out, but after a few months, we started moving her "bed" farther and farther away from ours, until it was out of the room, and eventually she was able to stay in her room.

Shoni Fri 05-Aug-11 01:36:28

smile thanks!
My daughter when I'm sleeping comes in sometimes without me knowing until she has woke us up! I also have a son at seven and I don't want to disturb him with her tantrums if I tell her shes to stay in her bed, I don't know if I could let her sleep in a bed on the floor I'd feel to guilty,, she says to me things like ‘but mummy your my best friend' it just tears me up everytime,,

MmeBucket Fri 05-Aug-11 05:16:59

If your DD is as bad as mine was, the guilt goes away pretty quickly once you feel how great an undisturbed night of sleep is.

We didn't just throw a blanket on the floor and call it good. We got a bunch of her blankets together, and put an extra pillow down there and called it her nest. And DH gave her a talking to telling her that her choice was that or nothing.

Mobly Fri 05-Aug-11 09:09:52

What's wrong with a bed on the floor? Just like camping really.

You could try a star chart to get her to stay in her own bed? A reward at the end of the week?

You could try letting her pick out new duvet cover and pillow case to see if you can get her to want to stay in her own bed.

On the other hand nothing wrong with co-sleeping if that's how you feel- could you perhaps get a bigger bed in your room so you can get a better night's sleep?

Shoni Thu 11-Aug-11 23:25:42

Thank you,
I think there good ideas and I will certainly try them and let you know how I got on!
smile

Loopymumsy Fri 12-Aug-11 07:47:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

minicorrect Fri 12-Aug-11 08:03:38

Ugh! We've got the same problem so I sympathise. DD is 2.5 and comes through to our bed every night and sleeps horizontally across us. We got her a Peppa Pig ready bed but it didn't work. Now I've pgot a newborn also in my bed feeding all night this is becoming a real issue. Only got 2 hours sleep last night trying to settle them both. Will be watching for ideas in desperation!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now