Talk

Advanced search

SMP

(12 Posts)
Pippaandpolly Thu 04-Aug-11 12:29:31

Can anyone tell me how much SMP works out as per month once tax, NI etc have been taken into account? (Am guessing my pension will also come out, so if anyone is a teacher and also pays into the pension scheme that would be even better!) Thank you smile

Pippaandpolly Thu 04-Aug-11 12:50:13

Also, the calculator tells me I'm not entitled to child tax credits - but I thought those were for everyone regardless of personal income/circumstances...does anyone know how they work? Sorry for the dim questions blush

LabMonkey Thu 04-Aug-11 12:50:22

I got just over £500 (poss £511) this month. Hope that helps smile

Pippaandpolly Thu 04-Aug-11 13:02:17

Thanks LabMonkey - it does smile

Any thoughts on the child tax credits?

Octaviapink Thu 04-Aug-11 13:30:04

Tax credits take into account your whole household income. You don't pay income tax on SMP.

LabMonkey Thu 04-Aug-11 13:41:05

According to the website we won't get any tax credits either but then on the same page it said to apply anyway. I haven't done it yet but will give them a call when I head back to work in a few months. It doesn't make any sense and like all gov websites it's not very helpful. Sorry I can't help with that but I will be watching to see if anyone can make me understand!

Pippaandpolly Thu 04-Aug-11 13:58:35

I think I've been getting child tax credits and child benefit mixed up...is it the benefit that is given regardless of income?

noisylurker Thu 04-Aug-11 14:31:35

Yep that's right smile

Pippaandpolly Thu 04-Aug-11 15:20:27

Ah - thank you!

LabMonkey Thu 04-Aug-11 15:30:20

We got the Child Benefit form in hospital in a Bounty pack - that's all sorted. The tax credits I don't understand because I know people who get them who get paid more than me with partners who are on waaaay bigger salaries yet it seems DH and I are not eligible?

Pippaandpolly Fri 05-Aug-11 08:22:01

Lab I was surprised the online calculator said we weren't eligible too-especially as I can't find an 'upper earning limit' anywhere. The system doesn't seem to be very transparent. We earn very averagely-but maybe it's only available to the lowest earners? It's hard to know as they don't seem to publish figures!

LabMonkey Fri 05-Aug-11 10:55:39

I understand from colleagues that you should apply anyway because most people (apart from super high earners which we definitely are not!) end up getting something.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now