Talk

Advanced search

Construction toys for older children - any suggestions?

(6 Posts)
prairiegirl81 Thu 04-Aug-11 02:29:36

Hi, my niece is turning 9 soon (although she remains a very 'young 9' - i.e. she still loves playing with brio/dolls/playmobil etc) and I need to buy some presents! She really likes construction stuff, she likes magnetix, traditional blocks and marble runs, but has never been keen on lego :-( Does anyone have any suggestions as to any other construction-type thing that their kids really enjoy? Thanks, x

Parietal Thu 04-Aug-11 05:02:54

Knex?
StrawArt (which used to be called structure straws when I was 9)

Or just get more magnetix. With construction toys, it is always good to have LOTS of the same, not 10 different brands.

nooka Thu 04-Aug-11 05:17:23

Do you know why she likes magnetix but not lego? That might give you an idea as to what she might also like. Otherwise I agree with Parietal having lots of the same kind of construction toy gives you lots more possibilities. Knex is cool smile

roisin Thu 04-Aug-11 08:10:35

Knex or Meccano. There are some very cool meccano sets out there now.
Or would she like Airfix?

prairiegirl81 Thu 04-Aug-11 19:08:36

Thanks for all these suggestions! I will check them out! Can't believe I forgot about meccano - I loved that as a child! She has about 3 big boxes of magnetix already, but don't know why Lego never caught on, she used to like Duplo as a littlie!

LIZS Thu 04-Aug-11 19:13:29

Maybe she'd prefer a Lego set for a specific model like a house with figures or Harry Potter? Not sure about Meccano, dd(9) wouldn't really play with it. Or what about a 3-d puzzle

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now