Talk

Advanced search

4 month old baby who doesn't like going out of the house.

(6 Posts)
sarahloula Wed 03-Aug-11 18:40:37

My DD is 4 months old and generally a very happy baby, sleeping through the night, feeds well etc... When we're at home she is a very happy, gurgling, smiley baby who rarely cries. However she is a very alert baby and very aware of her surroundings. When we go out she goes very quiet and looks very unsure and more prone to getting upset. I'm sure this is normal and I'm hoping she'll grow out of it, is it just a case of keep taking her out so she gets used to new environments. She is also very weary of strangers and will cry if being held by someone she doesn't know well.

belgo Wed 03-Aug-11 18:43:41

Totally normal to cry when held by a stranger.

Do you carry her in a sling? That may help make her feel more secure.

WhoahThere Wed 03-Aug-11 19:50:28

I had the same problem - because dd seemed so much more aware than the other babies the same age, different surroundings seemed to overwhelm her and she'd cry a lot. I just persevered but would take her out of the situation (eg take her outside from a busy cafe for a quiet hug).

WhoahThere Wed 03-Aug-11 19:52:58

Whoops, pressed post before I meant to! DD is now nearly 7 months and seems much more confident and happy when we're out - she's pretty much as smiley out as she is at home.

BTW she was about the same age as your DD when we had problems.

5inthebed Wed 03-Aug-11 19:56:55

CAn she see you when you are out? Can you use a sling, or perhaps a prent facing pram?

sarahloula Wed 03-Aug-11 21:26:10

Thank you, it's just reassuring to know I'm not the only one and that hopefully with perseverance things will get better. Tried a sling but she wasn't keen. We have a parent facing pram which she's fine in but it does tend to be busy places and strange people which upset her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now