Talk

Advanced search

Baby Sleep Positioners?

(7 Posts)
SeptMummy Tue 02-Aug-11 10:09:13

What is everyones thoughts on baby sleep positioners? We were told about them in our NCT class last week and they seemed a very good idea to enable you to let baby sleep on its side without falling on to their tummies and to give a bit of variety to always sleeping on their backs and possibly causing 'flat heads'. Since there was an article in the 'daily mail' in regards to the US withdrawing them from market for fears of suffocation if baby should roll over onto sleep positioner itself..... I'm now confused or am I been a nervous first time mum with 7wks to go to EDD!!

ShowOfHands Tue 02-Aug-11 10:13:49

I don't like them as an idea at all. A baby needs to learn to move freely and needs to move freely in the night for their own survival. They should not be obstructed in this natural behaviour.

And a baby who has plenty of time up out of bed, being held, tummy time etc, needn't worry about flat head syndrome.

When they need 'variety' to lying on their back, their developmental norms will ensure they get it.

OnlyWantsOne Tue 02-Aug-11 10:15:12

google them

and their link to babies suffocating

lurcherlover Tue 02-Aug-11 12:15:10

You don't need one. Give your baby lots of cuddles, don't let him spend ages in his car seat and give him tummy time and he won't get a flat head.

nethunsreject Tue 02-Aug-11 12:17:53

completely unnecessary.

agree with the lots-of-cuddles message.

notso Tue 02-Aug-11 12:28:55

Sleeping on the side increases the risk of cotdeath.
I think some babies are just more prone to flat head anyway, my friends DS is in a sling pretty from waking up in the morning to when my friend goes to bed at night and he has a really flat head.

SeptMummy Thu 18-Aug-11 18:00:27

thanks everyone, think we will do without!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now