Talk

Advanced search

How do you shower when home alone with an older baby?

(85 Posts)
lurcherlover Sat 30-Jul-11 21:43:08

When DS was tiny, showering was easy - I had his bouncy chair in the bathroom and he was perfectly happy to it in it and play with the toys on it while I showered. But now he's 9 months and has outgrown it and I don't know what to do with him...he isn't crawling, but is desperately trying to, so I don't want to leave him just sitting on the bathroom floor - although he sits very well, his crawling attempts make him liable to topple over, and it's a tiled floor. Even if I sit him on his changing mat his head would still hit the tiles. If I leave him on his own in his cot with some toys he cries. I can't wait for nap times as they're not early enough in the day. Any suggestions please?

Eglu Sat 30-Jul-11 21:46:15

I would just leave him in his cot. But I'm tough like that.

welliesandpyjamas Sat 30-Jul-11 21:46:16

Highchair
Or
Buggy
Or
Visit a friend in the same position and take turns
Or
Shove him in to dad's arms as soon as he gets home and jump in the shower
Or
Have a shower last thing at night, sleeping with damp hair that will look awful the next day

ninja Sat 30-Jul-11 21:46:39

I have to admit I showered with dd2 from day 2! At 9 months I'd plonk her on the floor of the shower (with a mat) and get on with it - she loved it! grin

May not be your idea of a fun shower tho'.

Lots of towels and toys on the floor?

babyocho Sat 30-Jul-11 21:46:42

Bumbo?

frans Sat 30-Jul-11 21:48:33

Activity centre if you can fit one in the bathroom

woollyjo Sat 30-Jul-11 21:54:08

travel cot in the sitting room with a bag of play balls/ a few toys thrown in, shower really quick

lurcherlover Sat 30-Jul-11 21:56:26

Can't fit an activity centre in the bathroom, and the prob with using the highchair etc is that we have a dog, and the layout of the house means that I would be leaving DS and dog alone together if I did that. I can't shower the night before as I have the world's greasiest hair and if I don't wash it each morning it is hideous by lunchtime. I'll keep thinking...

KoolAidKid Sat 30-Jul-11 21:58:22

We had an activity centre, one of those inflatable rings, and a door bouncer which were good in situations like this.

1gglePiggle Sat 30-Jul-11 21:59:58

Tv? In the night garden kept my dd entertained at about that age.

Lady1nTheRadiator Sat 30-Jul-11 22:00:35

Just put a few towels on the floor and be quick.

gastrognome Sat 30-Jul-11 22:01:18

I bought a Baby Bjorn bouncy chair that can be used until age 2-3 years as they can't topple over in it. Bit pricy but definitely worth the investment!
She still cried in it though...

ChipPanSpam Sat 30-Jul-11 22:01:59

I have a quick shower while DH looks after the babies first thing in the morning before he goes to work.

littleducks Sat 30-Jul-11 22:02:11

Can you not shut dog in garden and put baby in cot/playpen with tv if toys dont prevent crying and be quick?

chocolatespiders Sat 30-Jul-11 22:03:19

Could you put the dog out or shut somewhere?

I used a door bouncer on the bathroom door. Or in the cot..

I have very greasy hair so had to shower in the morning to so I do feel your pain.

onepieceofcremeegg Sat 30-Jul-11 22:03:58

If you really can't bear to leave him in cot for a few minutes, then what I used to do occasionally was bath the night before, but as I have greasy hair I would wash hair over the bath the next morning, using the shower attachment on taps. Only takes a couple of minutes and you can easily grab the dc if they are right next to you/behind you in the bathroom.

Jojay Sat 30-Jul-11 22:06:40

Could you shower the night before then use that dry shampoo stuff in the morning?

graceandbeauty Sat 30-Jul-11 22:06:55

I had a travel cot in the dcs' bedroom with toys in it and they used to go in that from about 6 months when I had a shower. If you want to do that, start now so your ds can get used to it. They did cry a bit at first but once they were older they would toddle towards the travel cot/playpen when they heard the word "shower". Once they were older, like 18 months or so, I put a gate on the bedroom door and they played in there while I showered. Lots of my friends went through such a rigmarole trying to get a shower and I'm so pleased I started this routine early on.

Sparkles23 Sat 30-Jul-11 22:12:30

I have the same problem with my DS (now 11m), I despaired once he outgrew that bouncy chair (c.7m)!! But now I just put him in his cot whilst I shower, it's the only option if I'm home alone, our bathroom is far too dangerous with stone tiles and now he's v mobile and he tries to climb the bath!! He does sometimes scream in his cot but it's only for a few mins and the safest place really!

Henrythehappyhelicopter Sat 30-Jul-11 22:16:47

I used to take the highchair into the bathroom, with those stick on toys.

I would shower whilst making silly faces on the glass to keep DD amused.

Meglet Sat 30-Jul-11 22:18:30

Playpen or cot.

bellavita Sat 30-Jul-11 22:18:59

I would put mine in their cot. If they screamed they screamed. It was inly for a short while.

NevermindtheNargles Sat 30-Jul-11 22:19:56

Watching this thread with interest, as I'm getting to the same stage. I usually wait for nap time at the moment, but it doesn't help if you need to get out early. I was thinking about trying the playmat on the bathroom floor. I can't go with the screaming in the cot option as dh works nights.

NevermindtheNargles Sat 30-Jul-11 22:19:57

Watching this thread with interest, as I'm getting to the same stage. I usually wait for nap time at the moment, but it doesn't help if you need to get out early. I was thinking about trying the playmat on the bathroom floor. I can't go with the screaming in the cot option as dh works nights.

shmoz Sat 30-Jul-11 22:23:52

My DS (8mo) goes in his cot. He screams doesn't like it much so I try to be as quick as I can.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now