Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

how do you manage to get anything done with 10 mo baby climbing up your legs??

(30 Posts)
lollipoppet Sat 30-Jul-11 12:22:34

I'm finding it difficult to get anything done now that dd's nap times have reduced- just enough time to get myself showered and dressed in the morning nap before she's up again and although sometimes she will play by herself, most of the time she just wants me to pick her up so she can nosy at what I'm doing. It makes it impossible to get any cleaning done. Washing is ok because she loves the washing machine and (most of the time) will play with the pegs while I hang it out.

Has anyone got any marvelous tips please??

Octaviapink Sat 30-Jul-11 14:23:32

Give her a cloth/baby wipe and let her clean alongside you! What time does she get up - could you get up before her and have your shower etc? That would give you more time while she's asleep. Or just forget about the cleaning - I do!

eaglewings Sat 30-Jul-11 14:26:31

Put her in a sling if you are walking about?
Have her high chair next to the table or work top if you are prepping a meal ( with obvious cautions for safety from sharp and hot objects)

Haudyerwheesht Sat 30-Jul-11 14:36:44

Oh I thought this was directed at me specifically.

Dd is 10m and is a nightmare just now. Also have ds so not much time anyways but she just wants to stand / walk but can't so wants me to hold her hand allllll day.

I get nothing done. sad

levantine Sat 30-Jul-11 14:40:51

Put her in a high chair and lob bits of breadstick at her while you do kitchen related stuff? Sling on your back? I get very very little done too

notcitrus Sat 30-Jul-11 15:07:56

Give her a couple old pots and pans, wooden spoon and similar and let her make a racket in the middle of the kitchen while you cook?

Though basically you don't much until the kid is old enough to enjoy the odd bit of CBeebies...

RitaMorgan Sat 30-Jul-11 15:17:22

I tend not to bother getting much done grin If I need to cook dinner or something and ds is particularly grumpy I put him on my back in a ring sling.

lollipoppet Sat 30-Jul-11 16:48:14

Yes I probably could/should get up before her and get ready but I am too unwilling to get out of bed!

She is too heavy to carry about in a sling and would wriggle and whinge anyway I am sure!

I like the idea of throwing bits of breadstick at her in the highchair! smile

And I can't wait until the tv interests her!!

Have tried the pots and wooden spoon idea, works for about 2 mins then she's bored!

muslimah28 Sat 30-Jul-11 18:44:36

we used a sling at that age but now 14mo ds is old enough to sit on the kitchen counter. what kind of sling do you have? there are loads out there, and definitely ones that can take a heavy baby without you feeling it too much. we have a mei tai and a babasling.

failing that, the highchair is a good option, as is getting her to play at helping. but most of all, what helps is prioritising and accepting that not everything will get done sad

RitaMorgan Sat 30-Jul-11 19:45:17

A 10 month old should be fine in a decent sling, especially if you have her on your back.

ErOutdoors Sat 30-Jul-11 19:59:23

Baby bouncers are great. We had one you clipped to a door frame. You can chat to the baby while you do stuff.
Or try putting some toys on the kitchen floor. Anything will do at this age. Saucepan and a wooden spoon. Some beakers. Some stones. Fridge magnets. Change the toys quite frequently.
PS A sling - to strap a baby to you - while you do chores? Everyone who suggested this must be mad.

BertieBotts Sat 30-Jul-11 20:01:58

Put her in a sling - a proper one, a back carrier like the Patapum. They are only £45 new, probably less second hand - look on ukbabywearing swap. Or a ring sling might be good for you - you can get these for under £30 new.

BertieBotts Sat 30-Jul-11 20:02:32

It's not mad, it's easier than doing the chores while carrying them grin

RitaMorgan Sat 30-Jul-11 20:05:44

Yeah, I got my ring sling new off ebay for about £20 (think it was from UK Slings) - you wouldn't want to use it for hours with an older baby but it's great for short trips out on your hip or getting the washing up/cooking done on your back.

Not sure why it is mad either? My ds loves being in the sling and immediately chills out and stops whinging.

RockOnMrs Sat 30-Jul-11 20:09:14

OP - my marvellous tip (gained through surviving two toddlers and coming out the other side) is to massively lower your expectations until your child is well over the age of 2.

Frankly, you're lucky that you can actually have a shower with a 10-month-old in the house! When DS was that age, I couldn't take my eyes off him for a second - if I did, he'd be climbing up the curtains, or pulling the skirting-boards off the walls, or pulling the wires out from the back of the TV, or prising open all the "child-proof" locks on the kitchen cupboards .... I had to get up really early and shower before DS was awake, or wait until he had his nap, or in the evening when DH got home.

Gawd, I'm breaking out in a cold sweat just thinking about it.

Seriously, there isn't much that you can get done with a toddler climbing up your leg, so don't try. I used to cook the evening meal while DS had his lunchtime nap; then, when DH got home, I would pass DS to him while I reheated everything. Trying to cook with DS in the room was simply impossible - I learned that after I'd stabbed/cut/bashed/burned myself too many times as he cannoned into me, grabbed me or whacked me ... He just wouldn't be fobbed off with anything the little bugger - strapping him into a highchair and lobbing breadsticks at him would have been my idea of heaven!

It got better though, and he's an absolute joy now grin

Greenwing Sat 30-Jul-11 20:22:11

It depends on your child's personality - with mine I got almost nothing done as he was extremely demanding, active and adventurous to point of recklessness. I could not take my eyes off him!
Cleaning only got done when he was asleep!

ChipPanSpam Sat 30-Jul-11 21:53:50

I've got 11 month old twins so often find myself with both babies holding onto each leg while I am trying to get things done!

Thankfully they are still quite happy to sit in their highchairs after each meal, if they have a spoon or toy to play with. I bought them each a toy that sticks onto the highchair tray as they like to drop everything on the floor. I try to quickly tidy up and clean the kitchen while they are out of the way in their chairs. I also set up a play area in the kitchen with foam mats and toys and that can distract them for a bit while I am getting things ready.

The rest of the house gets done in the evenings or when DH gets home to help out.

I like to use the time when they are napping to sit on my backside and relax with a cuppa smile

lollipoppet Sun 31-Jul-11 09:33:33

Thanks for all the replies, glad to hear it isn't just me struggling!

Dd is an expert in homing in on anything dangerous or breakable, enjoying pulling on wires and finding things to stuff in her mouth, it is difficult to take my eyes off her! I suppose it doesn't help that dp works away when he's on shift so I am on my own.

Chippan- have a great image of you walking around with two babies clinging to your legs!

Will look into the high chair toys as she like to throw everything on the floor too. And the fridge magnets, thanks for reminding me about that!

With these backpack things then, can they see what's going on? I am sceptical as she is heavy and does have a penchant for pulling my hair!

TimeWasting Sun 31-Jul-11 09:43:31

What type of things are you trying to get done?

swallowedAfly Sun 31-Jul-11 09:44:01

Message withdrawn

swallowedAfly Sun 31-Jul-11 09:45:03

Message withdrawn

BertieBotts Sun 31-Jul-11 09:49:06

Yes, they can see over your shoulder. I got mine when DS was about 15 months and because of the way they are constructed, it felt less heavy to me than carrying a school bag full of books which I did every day as a teenager.

If you have a sling meet locally you might be able to go along and try one out, then you'll know how heavy she would be and whether she'd pull your hair without having to spend the money.

TimeWasting Sun 31-Jul-11 09:51:04

You can get what is basically a static baby walker - like this which are good for a few minutes when you need them contained.

lollipoppet Sun 31-Jul-11 12:32:48

Thanks for that, she did have one of those little baby Einstein round things but now she's crawling she refuses to be trapped into it!! Just wants to be on the move or climbing up mummy! And the door bouncer she loved but she is quite tall and just whacks her head on the door frame sad maybe a little walker that moves would satisfy? Although it would cost me in bruised ankles I'm sure!

Timewasting- just really simple things like a quick tidy before going out or preparing good or (gasp) making a cup of tea!

breatheslowly Sun 31-Jul-11 21:00:01

My DD is like this some of the time. There is no way that I could carry her around in a sling as I haven't used one in so long that I won't have gradually built up the muscles that I need to be able to support her. The best advice I have had on this clingy phase was when my mum said "just let her be clingy and hold her as much as she needs, she won't be doing it for long, so enjoy it". Admittedly I am able to make a cup of tea in a couple of stages, so my DD might not be quite as much of a challenge as yours in this respect.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now