Talk

Advanced search

How long does it take your baby to drop off for a nap?

(9 Posts)
Underthetrees Fri 29-Jul-11 20:12:23

I've just looked at my watch and I've spent 2 hours rocking, swinging and cajoling my 9-week-old into a nap. He falls asleep no problem in my arms and then - BING! - he's awake as soon as I creep near the cot. He's now wide awake in aforementioned cot with my rocking it with my foot. This is constant, I spend many hours getting him off to sleep but he only really naps for 30-45 mins (if I'm lucky). He's SOOOO tired but will not sleep!

Sparklyboots Fri 29-Jul-11 21:30:08

Varies - between 2 mins and 2 hours. DS is 7 months and a bit nap unpredictable. Have you got a sling? My DS is always happy in the sling - even if he isn't napping, he settles down and I can get on with stuff. Otherwise, though, can only recommend doing the whole evening routine thing and if he's happy enough awake when he's 'supposed' to be asleep, let him get on with it rather than waste your time. When DS goes manic instead of to sleep, I let him faff for a while and keep 'suggesting' sleep, by putting him down etc.

Oh! And I remember at that age, sometimes I had to put him down, swaddled, before he would settle and did spend some weeks trying to settle him before I put him down before twigging - have you tried putting him down while he's wriggling and seeing if he will settle? I'm NOT suggesting letting him cry if it makes him worse but you could try swaddling him and putting him down and giving him a minute to see if he'll settle.

MagnumIcecreamAddict Fri 29-Jul-11 21:42:56

Oh yes - do get a sling! It made life bearable. My DS was just like you describe, would only go to sleep whilst being breatfed and would wake up if I tried to put him down but settled beautifully in a sling and would sleep for ages. The other thing that was great was breast-feeding lying down and then napping together.

There is light at the end of the tunnel though, he's now 13 months and drops off from fully awake to flat out in less than 5 mins - quick drink from a cup, mummy's dreadful singing of the mockingbird song, cot very drowsy and gone. Been like this since about 7 months but did improve before that a bit.

It gets better. Much, much, much better!

Octaviapink Sat 30-Jul-11 12:55:13

Get a sling, and feed to sleep. Simple!

Don't worry about bad habits - they can't form habits this young and the above (especially the sling) improves their brain development no end!

Underthetrees Sat 30-Jul-11 14:15:43

I wish it were so easy. I have bought or borrowed five slings/ carriers. he hates all of em. He doesnt sleep in the stroller, or the car. I swaddle, shush, use white noise, I sing, I sway. I also cry lots - I wonder what that does to his psychological health when mum is hugging him but bawling her eyes out at the same time?

Octaviapink Sat 30-Jul-11 18:59:49

What about feeding? Is he hungry? Also worth bearing in mind when they fall asleep in your arms it does take about 15-20 minutes for them to be solidly asleep. (You have to wait till their limbs go floppy.)

happygilmore Sat 30-Jul-11 20:57:11

Our DD was similar at that age, I think if they get overtired it makes it work. We persevered and did anything we could to get her to sleep..walking for hours in the pram, covering it with a muslin, white noise etc etc etc. Also, try and get them to sleep as soon as they look tired, prob at least every 90 mins at that age. Perhaps even let him sleep on you for a bit, so he's less tired? And let him sleep in your bed too, if you're not already.

I'm sure your crying won't affect him at all, but it doesn't sound nice for you, so please ask for help from others, it can be so isolating I know.

And if it helps at all, honestly it is all a stage and passes, DD is 14 months now and a good sleeper most of the time. Never thought I would have said that at 9 weeks!!

valentinemum10 Sat 30-Jul-11 22:21:45

i am in exactly the same siyuation.it takes about 2 hours.currently put to sleeep at 6 and she slept for an hour and so spent since 7tryong to get her sleep.shes lyong in my arms now wide a wake and im so fricking desperate to sleep MYSELF i want to cry!

Underthetrees Sun 31-Jul-11 12:39:02

I hear you valentinemum, it's a frustrating experience. Take courage that I've just put him down this morning (Im in a different time zone from the UK). He was lying awake but sleepy in the cot. Five mins of rocking and he nodded off. This could be a complete fluke. Perhaps it might have been a visit to the chiropracter on Friday? I'm normally a bit of a sceptic but he has been much better the last two days.
One thing that I've been doing valentinemum is playing rock music through my ipod when rocking LO to sleep. He cries/fusses a lot of the day anyway and it just gets louder at nap time. The music blocks out the crying so I dont get quite so upset or stressed and I think that calms him. Hang in there! :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now