Talk

Advanced search

Shorty bed needed- any advice?

(12 Posts)
ojbsmum Thu 28-Jul-11 22:06:43

We're planning on moving DS into a bed in a couple of months.
For a number of reasons we have pretty much decided to get a 'shorty' bed- don't really want a toddler bed but don't have room for a full size single. However, we haven't been able to find many to choose between. Argos do a short divan (Homebase seem to stock the exact same one) or an extending bed from either Ikea or Aspace.

Aspace's Tobermory extending bed is my fave on appearance alone but haven't been able to see one in real life. Is it really worth the extra cost? Does anyone have any of these they'd recommend, or are there any others I've not found yet?

chaosisawayoflife Fri 29-Jul-11 08:21:07

Thuka beds are fantastic, and can be changed to mid sleepers, high sleepers. Bunks and full length singles. They aren't cheap but great quality and worth the extra imho.

tjacksonpfc Fri 29-Jul-11 10:15:06

We looked at the ikea extendy bed for our ds its good quality and reasonably priced. in the end we went for the non extendy version but its still a good size he is 5 but will last him till hes at least 10. hth

WideAwakeMum Sat 30-Jul-11 13:30:24

We have two of the Ikea extending beds - fantastic, robust and a sensible price!

ilovepizza Sat 30-Jul-11 21:26:55

I got one from Asda direct (the anti dust mite one - £159), it seems very similar to the Argos one. It has sliding storage underneath, which is quite a large space. I'd say it's sturdy enough for a child. I slept on it (I'm 5 ft 3) and it was ok, it didn't feel very solid, but I think that's because of the hollow base for storage. My daughter has slept on it for a couple of months now and sleeps well so it must be comfortable for her.

A few of the big name catalogues like very and woolworths stock similar designs with matching headboards too.

If you google verona and ebay, you will see that they do some short captain beds too.

I looked for months and didn't come up with much.

Not sure if I came across one one on tesco too.

RandomMess Sat 30-Jul-11 21:29:24

My friends have this ikea one for their dc

www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/S49891467

eldest is an average to tallish 11 year old and it still fits fine

thisisyesterday Sat 30-Jul-11 21:32:27

we have 2 thuka shorty beds and they're great.
they are not the nicest looking beds, it has to be said, but we chose them for their versatility

we can have 2 single beds, shorty bunkbeds, we can have them as midsleepers or high sleepers, and eventually we will buy the kits to turn them into full size singles.

can't fault them at all. built to last

OwlMother Sat 30-Jul-11 21:35:29

We have three Thuka beds. Started off as bunks, then turned into two high sleepers with desks etc. Bought a shorty midsleeper with desk, drawers etc, and am about to buy another bed to create bunks instead. Very flexible for changing needs, and the spare bits simply get stored in the garage, DH is about to go in there to hunt out the bunk bits, last used about three years ago!

OwlMother Sat 30-Jul-11 21:37:08

We have always used Bunky Business for buying Thuka. Great prices and the lady Heather has always been super helpful.

ojbsmum Sat 30-Jul-11 22:11:29

Thanks for all the advice.
Will look again at the ikea beds- i was concerned whether they were sturdy enough.
Also definitely going to look into these Thuka beds, though I was hoping to get a white bed and they don't do the shorty beds in white. I may be persuaded...
No comments on aspace beds?

thisisyesterday Sat 30-Jul-11 22:12:20

i think the new shorty trendy comes in white now...

thisisyesterday Sat 30-Jul-11 22:12:36

look at the rainbow wood site
we used them and they're really lovely

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now