Talk

Advanced search

time for a big girl bed?

(5 Posts)
sleeplessinderbyshire Thu 28-Jul-11 21:28:40

dd is 23 months. she sleeps in a cotbed in a grobag and has been happy so doing. She's too little to manage to climb out of the cot but is trying hard to work out how to do it. Tonight she's ended up in my bed saying "no not my bed in mummy's bed" and actually has been putting toys to bed with loose covers on and getting into my bed under the duvet saying "night night" for ages. I think from trying to understand her (not brilliant) toddler conversations that she is starting to want to be a big girl and have a bed not a cot.

I'm really not sure how I feel about this - the idea of an escapee toddler roaming the house in the wee hours is not a good one but as she can't reach the door handles I think shjutting her bedroom door would work fine for a bit. Question is should I go for it or not? Do I take the cot sides off and ditch the grobag or do one at a time (worried that with no grobag she may well manage to get her PJ bottoms off and take her nappy off which would not be great in the night but worried that in grobag she'll fall over if she gets out of bed)

can I have some been there done that advice please

elliepac Thu 28-Jul-11 21:36:42

I had two main worries when we moved DD to a bed (she was about 26 months). One was falling out and the other was escapee toddlers in the middle of the night. The first we solved by getting her a toddler bed which has partial sides on and is very close to the floor. The second we solved by putting a stair gate on her bedroom door so we knew she was safe.

We were also worried about her kicking the covers off but with a single duvet she has never managed to do that and she has never even attempted to take her nappy off.

If you think she is ready go for it. We made a big deal of it, she chose the bedding etc. and we have never looked back smile

Eglu Thu 28-Jul-11 21:39:47

If you think she is happy in the grobag still leave her in that. DS2 went into a big bed but kept the grobag for another 6 months. Also second the stairgate on bedroom door.

Octaviapink Fri 29-Jul-11 06:48:57

Our toddler also has a stairgate on her bedroom door, and sleeps with her door ajar. When she's awake she opens the door and stands at the gate and yells for us.

ErnesttheBavarian Fri 29-Jul-11 07:18:03

we moved ours out of cot bed into totally normal standard single bed at more like 18 months. Never had a problem. We kept them in sleepingbag for quite a while, some moved to duvets sooner, than others. The cut off point for sleeping bag was toilet training. As soon as they ditched the night nappies they ditched the sleeping bag if they hadn't already done so.

For the 1st 2 I used a removable side rail, but tbh ime it doesn't teach them not to sleep by the edge - dn for example always lies squished right up against hers.

So for the other 2 I just put big cushions on the floor and I think they only fell out once or twice each, so for us, the no side rail worked much better. Makes life so much easier when staying away from home if they can cope with a normal bed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now