Talk

Advanced search

18 month old recovering from gastroenteritis, will it take a while for her to want to eat again?

(5 Posts)
lolalotta Wed 27-Jul-11 17:56:15

Hi, she was sick every few hours very badly for a few days. She hasn't been sick since Monday now, she's still off her food apart from the odd strawberry and nibble of toast. She is still breastfeeding though and lots of them! She just spat out the pasta I tried her on. is this normal, is it just a matter of giving it time for her to recover her appertite? She used to eat very well! Thanks so much!

EllieG Wed 27-Jul-11 17:58:22

Very normal - mine was just the same. Doc told me to expect that - it's the same as when you get a nasty tummy bug, takes a while to get appetite back. She'll be fine is a few days - as long as she's getting plenty fluids. If things don't improve or she seems unwell/dehydrated or whatever, see the doc though.

TimeForCake Wed 27-Jul-11 18:12:23

Agree with EllieG. My DS was just the same - I kept offering him food & then i got it too and couldn't face the thought of food after being so sick! I felt bad trying to force DS after that! Her appetite will return. Maybe try things like crackers, breadsticks, toast or even some banana.

EllieG Thu 28-Jul-11 17:44:13

My doc said try to give lots of foods with fluid in - melon and other fruit good and that way keeping fluid levels up. If still breastfeeding though sure all fine.

lolalotta Thu 28-Jul-11 18:57:24

Thank you so much for your replies, I just need to give it time! Such a worry thoughm today, just a few spoonfulls of soup and some yoghurt! And she's waking up early too hungry, but just wants milk! sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now