Talk

Advanced search

working and leaving a 12 year old home alone, or childcare?

(6 Posts)
Melissad Wed 27-Jul-11 00:19:57

Our eldest daughter is 11, 12 next March. When I work (currently only 16 hours a week) she goes to a holiday club with her younger sister, who is 8. But the holiday club only accepts them up to their 12th birthday. And I'm not sure what I'm going to do then, except look for a term time job? I'm not keen on using a childminder, fitting around their holidays/sickness etc. and most of the childminders I know look after several kids and much younger kids, not older kids. I'm a bit unsure about the thought of leaving her home alone for 5/6 hours on the days I work, but lots of other people seem to do it. Wouldn't she get bored/up to no good? And obviously her sister would still be in the holiday club, cos I can't leave her in charge of a 9 year old. Any advice/experience?
Melissa

MindtheGappp Wed 27-Jul-11 16:48:33

I would cross that bridge nearer the time.

feckwit Wed 27-Jul-11 16:50:34

I would leave her at home rather than change jobs but check first there are no other options. Our local high school does athletics and other sports clubs in the summer, I've seen a drama club offering sessions too and also a cookery club...

grumpypants Wed 27-Jul-11 16:51:58

check your leisure centre? they run stuff during holidays.

dikkertjedap Wed 27-Jul-11 17:14:39

You may want to start looking whether your local sport clubs have holiday camps, many do, often from 9.00-14.00h or from 10.00h to 15.00h. You can also look at Stagecoach type holiday camps (arts, theatre, etc.). It is not always that easy to find out about them, so I would make a list sooner rather than later. Check what your daughter is interested in and keep in mind that some fill up really quickly, so find out about when to put her name down and whether there is likely to be a waiting list. Also, some sports coaches have young girls of your daughter's age helping out with the camps of the very young ones, so you can explore that as well. I think that as long as you plan ahead you should be alright.

crazycarol Thu 28-Jul-11 17:01:44

I wouldn't be keen on leaving a 12 year old at home for any length of time. When dd was 12 we strted leaving her for short periods of time 1-2 hours. She is now 15 and to be honest the longest I would leave her is a half day (in bed usually!). Depends on thie child, how close are the good neighbours, gran etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now