Talk

Advanced search

5yo dd having night terrors

(3 Posts)
IAmCrazyMostOfTheTime Tue 26-Jul-11 22:52:55

Am new to this so a bit of background first. Married to do for 7yrs and have dd 5 yrs- only child by choice. Both of us have jobs which require us to put in long hours but we avoid working at home and weekends as much as possible.

Dd's gp and ggp are very much involved in dd's care with regards to after school pickups etc.

Dd is a very happy, cheerful and sociable girl who is doing well at school and enjoys weekends with myself and dp spending time together as a family.

Now onto why I'm posting here. Dd has been having night terrors for 3 weeks now - waking sobbing, upset, scared( but doesn't know what of). This happens every night up to 6 times a night. Each time she wakes, she is still asleep iyswim. No amount of comforting or soothing words has an effect. We wait for each episode to pass and hope to catch some sleep before the next. Dd has no memory of these wakings and doesnot seem tired the next day ( unlike myself and dp).

I have no idea what is causing this or how to help dd. I am waiting for a docs appointment but they are like gold dust at our surgery.

What I'm really asking is has anyone else experienced this? What did you do to help?

Thanks

DottyDot Tue 26-Jul-11 23:03:50

Hi there - ds2 went through this at a similar age. It lasted a few months on and off - he's 7 now and hasn't had one for ages.

There wasn't much we could do other than sit with him until he got through it. He was asleep but awake and had no recollection of them in the mornings - I think they were more scary for us!

I wonder if they're genetic as me and my brother also had this at the same kind of age.

So, no advice really except to say fingers crossed they stop soon and try not to get too freaked out - it's horrible to watch them so upset - we used to say his name over and who we were, where we lived etc, to try and gently bring him back into the real world iyswim? Helped us as we felt we were doing something, but he wouldn't remember this the next day..!

DottyDot Tue 26-Jul-11 23:07:45

PS forgot to say that during the day, DS was and still is through happiest, most chilled out child I've ever known, so I'm not sure they had anything to do with how he was feeling - more a biological thing it seemed to me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now