Talk

Advanced search

Dressing baby over knee

(7 Posts)
WOOFS11 Tue 26-Jul-11 09:37:35

Looking after nephew today and bought him his first snowsuit for xmas off internet, it is 12-18mnths and my sister wants one for him he is 8 months next week and wanted to try it on him to see just how big it is as if looks like its not gonna last will put on e bay and buy next size up.
I tried to get him in it by laying it on floor no joy he just wriggled away,I tried sitting him on my knee to feed legs in just kept kicking it away, so my mum was here as well and she was sat on sofa, she made sure the zip was undone right under the bottom area (i just had it undone to top of legs at front as it goes under bottom quite far) and she laid the suit across her knee then laid/pinned him on top so his head was on the sofa near the hood and put his legs into the suit, she then sat him up and pulled the suit up and placed his arms in and pulled the hood up, she then laid him over her knee again and after some fumbling the zip slowly came round from under his bum and went up you should have seen the look on his face as she put the hood up and laid him over her knee as he finally admitted defeat vanishing in a mass of snowsuit its def gonna last as it was quite roomy when sat back up. I am pregnant and she reccomends this is the best way to put a snowsuit on a baby and will be with mine, does anyone else put them on over knee like this or has anyone ever seen it done she assures me baby is nice and safe and he cried a bit but seemed content enough.

howabout Tue 26-Jul-11 09:42:48

I found this to be the best approach from about 6 months onwards as I had a right wriggler on my hands. Also works very efficiently for nappy changing!

If you think about it they are actually far more secure and comforted over your knee than rolling about the floor in front of you, although it took my Mum to point this out to me.

BertieBotts Tue 26-Jul-11 09:45:56

I hate snowsuits - I quite understand why babies don't want to wear them! Completely impractical IMO.

howabout Tue 26-Jul-11 10:05:04

I agree snowsuits are completely impractical once DC can walk any distance, but in the winter between 6 and 14 months when you go out in the wind and rain with the pushchair they are far easier than faffing around with loads of layers and blankets and there is some hope of keeping the hood up as opposed to losing hats and shoes / socks etc.

BertieBotts Tue 26-Jul-11 12:08:58

Maybe, but you can take a blanket off when you go into a shop. Babies in shops in snowsuits always look like they are boiling. I found a footmuff didn't get kicked off once DS was old enough, and you can get those with snuggly hoods if they won't keep a hat on.

Different fair enough if you go on a lot of long walks which are outside the whole way. But even if you're driving somewhere you should put it on when you get there, not have it on in the carseat, as it means you can't tighten the straps tightly enough to be safe if you do have an accident.

cottonreels Tue 26-Jul-11 12:13:29

Over the knee is great imho

DirtyMartini Tue 26-Jul-11 12:17:46

lol at "vanishing in a mass of snowsuit" grin grin

I remember seeing an older woman changing a nappy on her knee in the middle of a cafe (very young baby) when DS was little. I was marvelling at her dexterity. My mum nodded sagely and said that was how everyone used to do it because there weren't facilities in most places until quite recently.

I don't quite know how you'd go about it though (despite having watched this woman ... it was kind of at a distance across a crowded cafe), esp with some of the messier poos confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now