Talk

Advanced search

Parenting course advise please

(4 Posts)
hastingsmum Mon 25-Jul-11 22:06:29

My husband is finding it hard to cope as a parent and I suggested he should take a parenting course, something along the lines of PET (parent effectiveness training, which is all about communication), but he has just been offered a free "solihull Parenting course".

The leaflet says: "The parents are supported in thinking about what
the child is telling them through their behaviour,
to support this approach the group programme
does not start with behaviour management
techniques, but rather helps build a solid
foundation then the behaviour management
techniques can be used effectively"

Anyone know about it? I suppose anything is better than nothing, but worry that it will be all about setting limits and time outs etc (behaviour management
techniques sound a bit worrying to me). I mean, I don't mind that my husband has his own parenting style but I can't sit by and watch him use methods like "naughty step" etc on our children...

cory Tue 26-Jul-11 07:32:34

I would have thought it unlikely that it is a very harsh technique seeing as it is sponsored by the NHS.

Is there any particular reason why you worry about your husband being taught about setting limits?- do you feel he is already too strict?

hastingsmum Tue 26-Jul-11 10:15:54

Cory, yes, he very much believes kids should "do as they're told" without even being given a reason for it and this has led to an un.
bearable situation in our house where our kids simply has stopped listening to him...sad

homeboys Wed 27-Jul-11 12:09:12

from your description of him and of the course it sounds like a very good fit

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now