Talk

Advanced search

chicken pox and shingles

(5 Posts)
Boblina Mon 25-Jul-11 11:25:14

Hi I know that this is probably not the right place to post this but I am hoping that someone may know te answer. I think DS1 has chicken pox (he has about 10 spots which look like it) anyway we were supposed to go out with his nanna today well we are not now however he would still like to see her. What I am worried about is her getting shingles. What is the likelyhood. Should I say no? Any thoughts? Advice? Thanks

AMumInScotland Mon 25-Jul-11 11:27:32

There is no problem. People don't get outbreaks of shingles from contact with someone with chicken pox. They get it when they are tired or stressed, from the same virus which is already in their system from when they had chicken pox themselves in earlier life.

Zero risk!

You can catch chicken pox from someone with shingles, but you cannot 'catch' shingles at all.

Should add as well that one of the best protections from getting shingles in later life is being re-exposed to the chicken pox virus so you will actually be doing nana a favour.

Boblina Mon 25-Jul-11 12:01:50

thanks so much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now