Talk

Advanced search

What age was your little one when they first slept at somebody else's house

(19 Posts)
Limy Sun 24-Jul-11 18:17:12

Next saturday my DD will be staying at her Grandparents overnight for the first time, she is 7.5 mo. It will be the first time since she was born that DH and I have been out on our own and in some ways I am looking forward to it but in others I am really nervous about it. I know she will be perfectly fine, she knows her grandparents really well and loves to spend time with them. I just wondered what age other babies were when they first spent a night away from home?

SilveryMoon Sun 24-Jul-11 18:18:26

My ds1 was about 3 weeks! blush

strawberrie Sun 24-Jul-11 19:28:07

I take it you mean without you and DH?

In which case - 10 months. DH and I had to travel to a funeral and it wasn't really suitable to take her; so we left her with my parents from lunchtime one day until early evening the following day. She was absolutely fine smile, but she had stayed the night in my parents' house several times before (with us).

In a way I was glad to have had my hand forced a bit; I would probably have left it later had it not been for the circumstances, and the fact that it went so well made it much easer to do it again soon for happier reasons.

polar515 Sun 24-Jul-11 19:58:52

7 1/2 months.

curlyredhair Sun 24-Jul-11 20:02:49

She hasn't. She's seven. I admit I have issues.

EveryonesJealousOfWeasleys Sun 24-Jul-11 20:08:57

She stayed at my Mum's for 2 wks at 14mo. She was walking by then which I think helped - not a proper baby any more! And TBH I would have done it much sooner if they had lived closer - they are 3 hrs away. You will be fine - just not having to think about anyone but yourself is lovely smile

Meita Sun 24-Jul-11 20:09:25

DS is 11 months and is at his GPs right now. Oh, umm, his dad is with him too, it's just me who isn't. confused But this is the first time DS is away from me for a night.

In other words, hasn't been away from both of us for a night yet.

AngryFeet Sun 24-Jul-11 20:10:39

Without us both mine were about 15 months and 24 months but that was because the little buggers wouldn't sleep without the boob and that was when they were weaned smile

dearprudence Sun 24-Jul-11 20:12:22

About 6 or 7 months, IIRC.

nancy75 Sun 24-Jul-11 20:12:25

dd stayed at my mums when she was about 10 days old

DialsMavis Sun 24-Jul-11 20:13:16

DS was 5 months for a hen do (god bless ex MIL). I left DD with new (also fab) MIL at 7 months for a funeral. She is having her for a night this weekend too as it is my 30th (she is now 8.5 months). I really want to go for 2 nights as we are going out in the town we are moving to in a few weeks and as it is 100 miles away from where we live now I really want to visit the house and such, I let DP choose it so haven't even seen it yet. Also as DP works crazy hours in the new city we havent spent more than 24 hours in each others company for months. I don't know if it is cheeky to ask MIL to have DD for 2 nights a she has to have her at our house as she only has a one bed flat. I thought my Mum would do a night but she doesn't feel comfortable having a baby over night (as is her right). DD sleeps for at least 13 hours a night and 2-3 hours in the day so she would hardly see her, the wimp!

jellybeans Sun 24-Jul-11 20:14:06

Mine were about 2/3 years old for grandparents overnight. Few months old for visits. 7 when on cub camps, 8/9ish at friend's sleepovers.

LeonieDeSaintVire Sun 24-Jul-11 20:21:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Lou222 Sun 24-Jul-11 20:26:16

My ds was 18 months before he slept at anyones house.
He is now 3 and has slept at about 7 different friends houses approx 15 times.
No gps to sleepover at.

notcitrus Sun 24-Jul-11 20:29:02

Nearly 2 - old enough to communicate with my parents who know him really well, and not fragile enough to break easily/choke/wake up too much in the night, etc. And could get up and down the stairs himself and climb into his car seat with a push, so less of a physical effort for them.

Also spent NYE last year at a friend's house with a proud 12yo 'babysitting' (mum also in the house!), though I put him to bed and came back around 2am so was also there in the morning. Just not very sentient...

fannybanjo Sun 24-Jul-11 21:14:52

Dd1 stayed with my parents in our house for one night at 12 months when DH and I stayed in a hotel for his birthday. She crucified them, my mum still hasn't recovered hence DD2 (3.10) and DD3 (2.4) not yet been left with anyone! Lack of offers you see....

AngelDog Sun 24-Jul-11 22:49:50

Not yet at 18 m.o. I doubt it'll be for a few years yet as he has separation anxiety quite badly - although that might change.

SandStorm Sun 24-Jul-11 22:58:06

Both my DDs slept away as soon as they went through the night. We worked on the basis that one day they might have to go to someone overnight and we wanted them to be used to it.

As it happens they're both happy as larry going for sleep overs now.

Loopymumsy Mon 25-Jul-11 21:50:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now