Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

My 15 month old will not eat

(9 Posts)
bigbrofan Sat 23-Jul-11 22:22:47

my 15 month old is a terrible eater, the only meal he actually eats is breakfast - dry cheerios and a bowl of aptamil porridge.
i feel like a i have a dug a hole for myself, i have kept on really mashed up baby food for too long. i know he is capable of eating and chewing food as he can eat cereal, crisps, biscuits, raisins etc.
he is so fussy - wont eat bread, toast, he only like certain things (QUAVERS, ORGANIX CRISPS, HEINZ BISCOTTI)
as mentioned he eats breakfast well, lunch is usually a plum stage 2 pouch or an ellas kitchen stage 2 pouch followed by a yogurt. he does eat is 3 meals but all the same every day and i have tried to introduce pasta, rice, fish fingers - everything really e wont even look it at it and screams in his high chair so i end up giving in and giving him what he likes.

he wont eat any fruit except raisins unless its pureed or in a smoothie sad

i have had enough now want to be able to go to restaurants and give him food off of a menu and toast etc - baby food is too expensive.

any advice/tips are welcomed

p.s he gets two 8oz bottles a day - morning and bedtime

Octaviapink Sun 24-Jul-11 06:53:32

I would get right away from all the processed food. No more Organix, crisps, Heinz, Plum, Ellas or any other kind. Even the organic stuff has to go through so many processes it's not much like real food and if you've ever eaten them you know they have a weird taste - he's probably used to that now. If you make biscuits yourself then you will at least know what is in them (you can make them with oats, reduced sugar etc) and he both could and should be having what you and your family eat. I'd start it slow - some milk with his Cheerios, maybe some crackers with cheese for lunch, even toast with something he's used to like fruit puree smeared on it. Cottage cheese is surprisingly good mixed up with fruit purees, especially apple ones.

RitaMorgan Sun 24-Jul-11 07:07:52

Does he eat with you?

I think I would be tempted to go cold turkey on the crisps, biscuits and baby food. Cook food, sit and the table with him and get on with eating yours - don't make a fuss of what he's doing at all. Maybe include one thing with each meal that you knwo he will eat.

Try to get out of the current pattern of behaviour - instead of sitting him in his highchair to eat have a picnic on the floor (indoors or outdoors), sit him on your lap and let him eat off your plate, invite friends with children round and all eat together etc.

I would really try to take the focus and pressure off what he is eating. Chat to your partner or even put the TV on while you have meals, and don't be tempted to persuade or cajole him into trying things.

exoticfruits Sun 24-Jul-11 07:55:32

I would go cold turkey on it all too. Cut out all snacks, emotion and discussion. Serve the meal-small amounts where he can help himself to more.Don't discuss-just remove if he doesn't eat.Don't give alternatives or snacks.

Martha85 Sun 24-Jul-11 16:49:31

Agree with what everyone else has said. Have you tried him with homemade soup and smoothies. Similar to the "baby mush" and you will be reassured that he is eating some good food. Natural yougurt with berries or other fruit mixed through. Keep offering the food you are eating. I usually have to offer new food 3 or 4 times to my DS's before they will eat it.

AngelDog Sun 24-Jul-11 22:52:55

I've often read that it takes approx 17 times of offering or about 6 months before a child accepts a food as 'normal' (and even then that doesn't guarantee they'll eat it).

It can change. At 12 months DS suddenly refused all vegetables, which lasted at least 3 months. Then he ate a few more, but now at 18 m.o. he's suddenly started eating things he has consistently refused for the last six months.

bigbrofan Sun 31-Jul-11 19:36:06

Thank you everyone for the advice, going to cut out the junk this week and offer healthy alternative snacks instead. He isn't a massive boy (on 25th growth percentile) I am frightened that I'm starving him if I cut out what he eats completely he's stubborn so could prob go days and as he beats a healthyb breakfast he won't be that fussed..... I need to give the soups ago again, my husband and I eat slot of homemade foods and soups etc which frustrates me so much as I feel that we eat so well and my son doesn't sad

Will keep you updated with progress

bigbrofan Sun 31-Jul-11 19:41:33

Also I have tried eating together at the table, he just throws food off the table and has a tantrum sad

RitaMorgan Sun 31-Jul-11 20:04:53

If he throws food and has a tantrum then let him get down and ignore him while you eat. No child will starve themselves, honestly - if good food is available he's not going to choose to make himself ill instead of eating it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now