Talk

Advanced search

just had a shock...reassurance needed please

(16 Posts)
Moulesfrites Sat 23-Jul-11 20:41:36

we have been weaning 6mo ds for a couple of weeks. He has taken to breakfast and lunch great so last night we decided to give him tea for the first time at about 5pm. He had veg last night and was fine, still woke up for his usual dream feed at 10pm (He is ebf).

Tonight however we gave him some lentils and veg (AK recipe), with a bit of yoghurt afterwardsHe went to sleep at 6.30 and was down for a couple of hours then we heard a few squeaks on the monitor so I went up to check on him.

He was absolutely covered in vomit. It was all over his sleeping bags and sheet and his head and face. We had to bath him and I have just fed him back to sleep. He is back down now and seems ok, but it gave me such a fright. I am so terrified that he could have choked and I feel guilty as if we have moved too fast with the weaning. He has always posseted milk but has never vomited solids like this before.

Do you think he could be poorly (no temp)? Or could this be a reaction to something in the lentils, or just the increased amount of food he has had?

DirtyMartini Sat 23-Jul-11 20:46:11

Oh dear, what a horrid surprise - I know it must have given you a fright but it's unlikely you have done anything wrong at all. For all you know, he may have a little stomach bug (they can pick them up anywhere really); it may not be the food at all. Or, indeed, it may be the food not agreeing with him but I doubt that is because you have "moved too fast" - more likely just he ate a bit more than his tummy could manage, or had a slight reaction to something in the recipe.

Try not to worry, this kind of thing is not uncommon and it's one of the reasons having a monitor can be reassuring smile I would just keep a watchful eye, take it slow with food tomorrow -- or of course, if he seems poorly at all, you could always ring the docs for a word of advice.

wine

z123 Sat 23-Jul-11 20:56:47

I think thats right- he may have just eaten a bit too much. Babies are actually pretty good at protecting their airways- and look- you say he was covered tonight yet not howling in misery or choking!!! My DD loved that AK lentil recipe too, but I left lentils til a little later, just because they can be slightly harder to digest. Not that I think that would have been the issue, I think prob just one of those things...

my ex- ebf DD (10 months) took to food straight away at 5 months and went almost immediately up to 3 meals a day, quickly eating VAST amounts!!! She was sometimes sick loads afterwards, and i'd worry about a food reaction etc etc, but it never amounted to anything. I also worried about just how much she'd eat and if I could overfeed her and cause her to become overweight etc etc. Now she is on the lean side (subsequent weighings showed weight gain to be on the slow side- I was gobsmacked), and doesn't eat so much, and I offer her regular food and high calorie snacks and try not to worry. So the point of this bit was to say I just went with how much she wanted to eat, and only stopped her if she went over the threshold where I knew for CERTAIN she'd be sick!!! On a good day she can still scoff an entire Danone Activia yoghurt in a sitting!

Moulesfrites Sat 23-Jul-11 20:57:25

thank you that is reassuring. I don't know how I will be able to sleep tonight - he has only just gone into his own room in the last few weeks too but I feel so worried in case it happens again. Having said that, there was so much sick I don't think there will be anything left for him to bring back up!

DirtyMartini Sat 23-Jul-11 21:04:12

Don't worry <pats OP> - it is a Rite of Passage.

Hope it's a quiet night for you all!

Moulesfrites Sun 24-Jul-11 09:37:16

Well we survived the night no problems although he did wake up for a few extra milk feeds. Thank you again froth reassurance, ds is fine today. Think we will lay off the lentils for a good few weeks!

DirtyMartini Sun 24-Jul-11 22:18:33

Glad to hear it smile

narmada Mon 25-Jul-11 21:22:02

Is it the first time you've given him yoghurt/ cow's milk products? This can cause vomiting in the small percentage of babies who are allergic/ intolerant to milk.

Like others have said, babies are very very good at protecting their airways. Both of mine have been very vomity and DS's bed in particular was always covered in what we came to call cot splats (bleurgh). Babies instinctively turn their heads to the side when they vomit.

dribbleface Tue 26-Jul-11 20:55:13

happened to me (well my DS too), babies do turn their heads as everyone has said. Still shocked the hell out of me too!

I never introduced new foods at tea after that, stuck to known things and tried new things at lunch, that way I felt more in control.

vez123 Tue 26-Jul-11 23:03:25

Same experience here. My DS did some spectacular projectile vomiting after dairy even at 7 months! And when I made him AK's lentil dish at 10 months it ended up on our pristine white posh bed sheets :-(
Nothing to worry about. He eats dairy every day now (since he was 8 months). I would leave it for a while and try again when he is a bit older.

TheWolfpack Tue 26-Jul-11 23:12:42

Aw, try not to worry, it's very common. My ds has been sick in his bed soooo many times. It's not nice when it happens the first time - especially when they are so little. Try him with some plain foods tomorrow and if he continues vomiting then it's probably a little bug. Hope you have a good night smile.
Is he your first?

piprabbit Tue 26-Jul-11 23:13:24

DD's done some spectacular night vomiting over the years.

There was the one when she'd had blackberry and apple for tea - and vomited purple, repeatedly over every bit of bedding we owned (and herself - the distress of trying to pull her purple, vomity PJ top over her head while only adding to the mess on her face and in her hair sad).

Then there was the time more recently when she'd had Thai green curry and vomited undigested rice all over herself, the bed and the rag rug (I had to spend hours picking vomity rice out of the rug before I could sling it in the washing machine (didn't want to end up with a washing machine full of very clean rice).

It's one of those things that happens when you have a child - every parent dreads those nights. No reason, no explanation.

lawnimp Tue 26-Jul-11 23:14:55

oh blimey i remember this stage

they also poo everywhere sometimes too

TheWolfpack Tue 26-Jul-11 23:15:04

Sorry that'll teach me not to read the whole thread....
Glad he's bettersmile

kennythekangaroo Tue 26-Jul-11 23:16:11

The worst we had was after DS had a lovely mixture of apricots, prunes and bananas (to help with constipation) and when we went upstairs later he was lying in a sea of brown sick!

piprabbit Tue 26-Jul-11 23:18:24

kenny, if you gave me apricots, prunes and bananas, I think I would be sick too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now