Talk

Advanced search

At what age should you start to clean their teeth?

(8 Posts)
LizziePizzie Thu 21-Jul-11 23:48:06

My dentist said to not worry for a few months (my DD is 13 months now with 6 teeth), but part of me thinks I should start cleaning them now.

When should you clean them, before or after their night time milk?

differentnameforthis Fri 22-Jul-11 03:39:22

You should clean them as soon as they come through. Really surprised the dentist gave you that advice!!

After (leaving a 20min gap) would be best, but if not possible, before is better than nothing.

StarryEyedMama Fri 22-Jul-11 03:54:52

We've done it with DS ever since his first tooth cane through and he was bring properly weaned, we do it as part of the bedtime routine while he's in the bath as he's often too sleepy after his milk to do it then, obviously when he gets older we will brush his teeth after.

Bouviergirl Fri 22-Jul-11 09:37:36

We started as soon as teeth came in and do it before bedtime milk (would prefer to do it after, but not going to work with routine). Then when they're older start doing both morning and night.

As an aside, recently took 3yo ds for first dentist check-up and dentist said what you're looking for at his age, ie what you don't want, is small brown spots on the teeth.

Graciescotland Fri 22-Jul-11 09:39:30

As soon as they start to show. I still feed DS to sleep 11mo so I brush them after bath before bed and in the morning.

StrandedBear Fri 22-Jul-11 10:23:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MoonFaceMamaaaaargh Fri 22-Jul-11 13:53:09

we started at about 8m! Just giving ds the brush to chew on with some baby tooth paste. He loves it and quickly picked up the sign and would ask to do it randomly so sometimes is gets done three or four times a day. I always do mine at th same time to show how it's done. Now he's 17m and starting to copy the scrubbing and spitting thing.

No need to do it for them imo. Just avoid sugary stuff and make it fun.

Ellle Fri 22-Jul-11 16:15:25

Hi there, I've read all the posts and you have got very good advice.

Not sure why your dentist said that, but I'm a dentist also and what I say to my patients who have children is that they should start brushing their teeth as soon as they come through, twice a day (morning & evening). The evening one should be after their last meal/bottle of milk before the go to sleep.

At this age the most important thing to do is to create a habit. That way you have already introduced the toothbrush before they are old enough to say no and complain about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now