Talk

Advanced search

SAHMs and temporary SAHMs...ideas?

(9 Posts)
noisylurker Thu 21-Jul-11 15:00:35

I'm a SAHM for the summer!

I've been stupidly excited about this for months. Four days in, we have been to the park, to two new parks, to the Marina, to the big pet shop, on various random errands, to the library, to meet Daddy for lunch on the bus.

I'm knackered! And have pretty much exhausted my list of activities.

What do you do with your days? Do you have a structure? And can you recommend any activities which will wear out an almost-two-year-old but not his mother (or is that hopeless optimism?!).

JoinTheDots Thu 21-Jul-11 15:16:21

Structure works for us

Mon: walking in the woods (rain or shine!)
Tues: playdate afternoon
Wed: NCT pals (various locations/our houses)
Thurs: term time toddler group, hols library/onto town or see friends who are off work
Fri: term time music activity, hols swimming/park/playcentre

all afternoon fillers, mornings are spent at home, but dd is a rare late riser who likes a late morning nap so time flies to lunch.

matana Thu 21-Jul-11 18:06:46

Swimming is always good for us

Rooble Thu 21-Jul-11 18:16:16

We have a sort of weekly structure (tues meet friends, weds library, fri swimming). At home we play in the garden, he helps me make tea, do a bit of painting/drawing. Umm I think I'd relax a bit and not worry too much about him being busy - he'll probably just really enjoy simply having you around.

Rooble Thu 21-Jul-11 18:17:05

Ps it is okay to go to the same park over and over again!

itsnotpossibleisit Thu 21-Jul-11 18:30:38

DD loves to go to the playground and when I have tried to go to the museum with her she says she does not want to go she prefers the playground. She is 23 months old and have a very strong mind of what she wants to do. So usually we will go to the playground in the morning and then in the afternoon we will be playing in the house unless we are meeting other mums and children which can be twice or three times a week. We also paint and read and dance and do plenty of stupid things which she loves. She is very good helper when I have to put the washing machine and helps me to put the clothes to dry. It can take much longer when we do it together and it is also good aswe spend more time doing it and have less time to spare afterwards. She also like to "help me" cooking which again it can take a while.

If it is raining we spend the day in the house and watch soe DVDs which otherwise we do not do very often. You do not need to be going out all day. I have found that when we go for picnics with other mums to the park I am so tired at the end of the day. I would not be able to do it every day. There another activity for you "picnics", DD loves it. It is something else we do on raining day. We put the picnic mat on the floor in the house and have a picnic grin

Hope this helps

justaboutWILLfinishherthesis Thu 21-Jul-11 18:33:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AngryFeet Thu 21-Jul-11 18:38:04

I agree, young children are very easily pleased. All they want is to be with you and have a bit of fun. My kids are happy with a couple of hours at the playground. It is me who wants to get out and do interesting things! Try to have a day at home a week just chilling out and pottering around. Summer hols are supposed to be about relaxing too!

noisylurker Fri 22-Jul-11 08:59:03

Thanks everyone, it's reassuring to read your replies!

We definitely need to pace ourselves a bit smile we're having a morning at home today.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now