Talk

Advanced search

What's the smallest age gap that does not require a double pushchair?

(19 Posts)
Moulesfrites Thu 21-Jul-11 14:41:11

Ds is only 6mo. Dh and I were talking last night about the prospect of a dc 2 and what the optimum age gap is. Obviously there are other factors to consider but I really don't want a double buggy! The one we got for ds was so pricey I want to get my money's worth! I was 20mo when my sis was born and apparently my mum never had a double buggy, but do you think this is feasible?

naturalbaby Thu 21-Jul-11 14:48:12

i had a 15month gap then an 18month gap and my 3yr old still climbs into the buggy on long days out when he's tired. i am just getting back to using my expensive travel system again with my 6month old as my 23month old is walking a lot but i also have a couple of doubles and a stroller depending on what we're doing and where we're going.

friends of mine mostly had a 2yr gap and used buggy boards. i put baby in a sling to keep my toddler in our best buggy for a bit longer as well.

what buggy do you have? could you just get a buggy board?

PorkChopSter Thu 21-Jul-11 14:50:36

Depends on the child involved and how active you are grin

If you are walking five miles a day to a timetable with a whingy DC1, they could be 18 months or 4 - you'd still want to bung them in the buggy.

If DC1 still naps during the day - it's good to have the option of going out over that nap time. Again, that could be up to 3.

You could sling DC2 and put DC1 in your pushchair - but if DC2 is a chomper, then you'll not be wanting to carry them around all the time.

How much can you ebay your current pushchair for wink?

baabaapinksheep Thu 21-Jul-11 14:50:40

I have a 19 month age gap between my DDs and never had a double buggy. DD2 was in a sling for the first few months, then after that DD1 either walked or went on a buggy board so DD2 could use the puschair.

Doyouthinktheysaurus Thu 21-Jul-11 14:53:44

I had a 21 month gap between ds1 and ds2 and we managed with a buggy board. DS1 has always been a good walker and the buggy board worked fine.

DS2 has always been a very reluctant walker which I'm sure is in part because there was no hurry to get him out of the buggy.

Moulesfrites Thu 21-Jul-11 14:55:07

It's a stokke xplory They do buggy boards for them. Baabaa that sounds like a plan!

lindy100 Thu 21-Jul-11 15:37:27

I plan to use a sling for DC2 for as long as I can, then a buggy board, when necessary.

DD1 has been in training for a while now and will more than happily potter about for an hour in town. And though she likes to wander off now and then, it's less strain on my pregnant body than pushing a pushchair.

DD1 turns two a fortnight before DC2 is due (in August).

notso Thu 21-Jul-11 15:47:08

It depends on the child, my friends cringes about how she would smugly sneer at my DS still lolling in the buggy at three, her DS simply had to walk from age two as they had DD who needed the buggy.
3 and a half years on and her DD firmly refuses to walk for more than 10 mins.

sheeplikessleep Thu 21-Jul-11 15:50:32

2.5 year age gap. We bought a double buggy second hand, but only used it for a couple of months.

But then I'm a bit of a lazy arse and don't walk far and DS1 is quite the opposite and hates his buggy!

MoonFaceMamaaaaargh Thu 21-Jul-11 19:02:52

baabaa...i'm very glad to hear that. We will have same age gap and am planning exactly what you describe. smile

Hollie27986 Thu 21-Jul-11 19:45:45

I had a 18month age gap and had to get a double buggie! I have a 3month old and 21 month old and stilll in good use!

Ivortheengine8 Thu 21-Jul-11 19:50:44

Good thread! I have a 21 month old dd and dc2 will be due in October.
DD walks a good deal now and we have left the buggy at home for short trips for a while now................but she has started these terrible almighty tantrums every time we go into town so I am seriously considering a double.

I have bought a new pram for dc2 in the hope that dd1 would walk most of the time but now I am reconsidering.

RhinestoneCowgirl Thu 21-Jul-11 19:51:44

I have 2y5m between my two, I bought a second-hand double buggy from a friend for about £30 which I used for about 6 months. When DS reached 3y he mostly scooted everywhere so was able to ditch the buggy.

For the first couple of months I managed mostly with sling and single buggy, but I do walk a lot (no car) so was handy to have the double for long journeys - didn't use it every day tho...

DD is now 2y7m and is much more keen on staying in the buggy than her older brother was (she has shorter legs too grin)

LaWeasel Thu 21-Jul-11 20:01:00

I don't know tbh - there will be 2.9y between DD and DC2 (due at christmas).

DD was a late walker, and we walk absolutely everywhere. She is also awful at walking atm, whingy, runs off, bad behaviour.

I've got 6mths to try and whip her into shape in which case a buggy board would probably do (she doesn't nap in the pushchair anymore) but if there isn't huge improvement we'll be getting a phil&ted and carrying on with "if you can't be trusted to walk you go in the buggy"

sittinginthesun Thu 21-Jul-11 20:14:32

3, 2 months years between my boys - I actually stopped using the buggy at around 2 years 10 months. DS1 preferred to walk, and we live in a hilly area. He was helping me to push it up the hills when I was huge with DS2smile

sittinginthesun Thu 21-Jul-11 20:15:29

Sorry, meant 3 years, 2 months.

Ringosbaby Thu 21-Jul-11 20:19:37

I have a 19mth gap and never had a double, but DS1 has always been an excellent walker. Mon-fri we tend to stick to the local area anyway, so he often walked the school run and then played at home in the day or we walked to the park.

We had a buggy board but he wasn't keen.

Weekends if we were going on a whole day out we would take 2 buggies as he still needed to sleep.

All of that said, I wouldn't dare try and walk anywhere in public with DS2 who is now 19 mths. He's bloody unruly.

megkat Fri 22-Jul-11 21:54:37

19 month gap here - used a double for about 6 months then DD1 walked or we had a buggy board that was a seat (can't remember what it was called, seems a looonnnnggg time ago lol). Hated the double and couldn't wait to get shut of the damn thing.

megkat Fri 22-Jul-11 21:55:41

Ha forgot to say that DD1 used to call the buggy board the "naughty step"! Needless to add she wasn't too keen on it wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now