Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

2nd jabs - 2 weeks late advice please

(8 Posts)
Testarossa2468 Wed 20-Jul-11 22:48:41

My baby is due her 2nd immunisations next Tuesday but we are due to go on holiday the same day (within the UK). She will be 13 weeks on Tuesday and the HV has proposed that she have her jabs 2 weeks later. There is a chance another HV may be able to give her them first thing on Tuesday before we go however I don't know which is riskier:
- having jabs 2 weeks later than recommended, or
- getting the jabs then being away from our own doctors in the event of any reaction in the following hours or days.
What would you do/what have you done? Would appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance x

Hollie27986 Thu 21-Jul-11 20:09:31

My Little boy had his just over a week late and it was ok

Octaviapink Thu 21-Jul-11 20:36:23

I'd go with the two-weeks-late option if you're not comfortable being out of reach of your own surgery.

MoonFaceMamaaaaargh Sat 23-Jul-11 20:37:35

Late is fine, you just can't be early as they might not be strong enough for the dose.

Emski76 Sat 23-Jul-11 20:47:19

My ds2 had his 2nd and 3rd jabs two weeks late as the nurse was off ill when his 2nd jab was due. I was told it's ok to have them late just must have 4 weeks in between each one,

monkoray Sat 23-Jul-11 21:10:06

The only issue with having any of the immunisations late is that it leaves your baby exposed to the diseases that the vaccine protect against. In your case your dc is due a second dose of DTap/IPV/Hib (which protects against diptheria, polio, tetanus, and pertussis - whooping cough), and a first dose Men C which protects against meningitis C.
Although it is officially not advised to postpone, having them late will not impact on the vaccines effectiveness.
Moonface I'm not sure if you meant that the jab wouldn't be strong enough or the child wouldn't be strong enough. But if you meant that later thats not the case. The Department of Health recommends that immunisations should be brought forward rather than postponed where ever possible to ensure full protection against disease. This is often necessary for people travelling abroad with very young babies to see relatives. As Emski76 says the issue is ensuring a long enough gap between certain vaccines. The Department of Health Green book "Immunisation against infectious disease" has all the information you need about every vaccine offered on the NHS. Its a bit heavy on the science but still reasonably accessible.
www.dh.gov.uk/en/Publicationsandstatistics/Publications/PublicationsPolicyAndGuidance/DH_079917

MoonFaceMamaaaaargh Sun 24-Jul-11 08:44:50

ah thanks monkoray, i was going off what i was told by the surgery when i booked ds's in a similar situation.

Martha85 Sun 24-Jul-11 16:31:43

I would wait.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now