Talk

Advanced search

Right, this one has been bugging me for nearly 6 years. Public toilets and babies...

(53 Posts)
tigana Tue 19-Jul-11 22:01:30

Here we go. I'm preparing for a really obvious answer to be revealed.

You are strolling around town with baby in pram/pushchair. You do not have friends or DP/DH with you. You need a pee. You cannot wait until you get home. You venture into the loos kindly provided by debenhams/M&S?wherever....

what do you do with the baby?
Because that buggy won't fit in a cubicle now will it?!

leave baby outside cubicle? leave buggy but carry baby in and do funky dance trying to hold baby and lower/raise own pants etc? use buggy as modesty screen?!

alphamummy Tue 19-Jul-11 22:02:39

Leave baby outside. Its only a wee. imo

alphamummy Tue 19-Jul-11 22:03:02

I'd always take my bag in tho

BitOfFun Tue 19-Jul-11 22:03:37

Leave baby outside, ideally with old ladies who push pound coins into their hands.

Tillyscoutsmum Tue 19-Jul-11 22:04:01

I use disabled loos <<dons hard hat>>

suzikettles Tue 19-Jul-11 22:05:15

Go to end cubicle, use pram to semi-cover the door/signal occupation. Pee quickly.

DuelingFanjo Tue 19-Jul-11 22:05:25

Use the disabled, the one with the baby changing thing in it. or take the baby out of the push-chair and sit it on my knee.

tigana Tue 19-Jul-11 22:06:09

grin... bit the old petrol station with baby in car "dilemma"...except that one never bothered me, always contentedly abandoned DS in the car to go and pay...maybe because I had the car keys in my hand...

Caz10 Tue 19-Jul-11 22:06:09

Pee in Debenhams, they have family toilets grin

AngryBeaver Tue 19-Jul-11 22:06:36

I'll propbably get told off,but I taken the pram into the disabled loo. I have also held baby under my arm and managed to undo my jeans with one hand and weed that way.Tricky,but managable if needs must smile

TheFarSide Tue 19-Jul-11 22:07:09

Could you take the baby in the cubicle and hang it on the back of the door?

LynetteScavo Tue 19-Jul-11 22:07:18

Once you have given birth, your needs no longer exist.

You do not pee whilst out shopping -you wait until you get home! (Although I have managed to wee and hold a new born and wipe with out dropping said new born on public toilet floor)

Or you find a disabled toilet, which can accommodate you, your baby your toddler, the double buggy and your 5 year old.

Thank you for reminding me why I'm not having any more children.

Flossbert Tue 19-Jul-11 22:07:19

Or use the baby change cos they've often got loos in too.

Mind you, when DD was about 8 weeks I was not so wise, and had a very torrid time at Exeter services!

IvyAndGold Tue 19-Jul-11 22:07:27

disabled here too <puts on flame retardant jacket, and passes one to tilly grin>

BuckBuckMcFate Tue 19-Jul-11 22:07:32

Long skirt and a she wee? grin

littleducks Tue 19-Jul-11 22:09:42

All the other mums use these OP, hasnt anyone ever mentioned it at playgroup?

<whistles innocently>

HarrietSchulenberg Tue 19-Jul-11 22:10:07

I have been known to have wees in quiet carparks because I couldn't fit the pram in the toilet with me and didn't dare leave DS1 on his own in his pram. Vile I know. One day I might turn up on a "Hilarious CCTV Footage" programme.

I have also argued with unsympathetic council staff about being allowed to use the RADA key for disabled toilets. Most times they were OK, though, to be fair.

Never thought of utilising old ladies as temporary pram watchers. That's a good one.

scrappydappydoo Tue 19-Jul-11 22:10:15

Shop only in shopping centres with 'family' loos wink
Seriously it would depend on situation - when asleep happy to leave outside loo and do a v. quick pee. If wide awake slightly older baby would use disabled/baby change. Also would depend on how busy loos were...

wompoopigeon Tue 19-Jul-11 22:11:56

I use the accessible toilet or if that's not an option I leave the buggy outside the cubicle and go really quickly (I have been snarled at by random strangers for the latter - "your baby could be kidnapped!").

My all time favourite is John Lewis where there is a big room with an adult toilet, a toddler toilet and room for a baby buggy- bliss.

tigana Tue 19-Jul-11 22:12:47

littleducks grin I always knew they were keeping something from me... bitches!

Oakmaiden Tue 19-Jul-11 22:15:12

Now, that is a novel toilet roll holder, littleducks!

AutumnWitch Tue 19-Jul-11 22:18:06

Have probably tried all most of the above.

Eventually stuck to John Lewis and shops close to public toilets with special buggy sized cubicles (and only when it was quiet to guarantee it was empty)

elphabadefiesgravity Tue 19-Jul-11 22:18:16

I either used a disabled loo that usually doubled as the baby change or in our local shopping centre and Asda there is a toilet inside the baby change room.

ivykaty44 Tue 19-Jul-11 22:20:04

I just left the door open with baby in pushchair - no one ever looked in the cubicle. Possibly after china loo's i didn't give a shit

AngelDog Tue 19-Jul-11 23:08:33

I've left DS outside, used the disabled loo, the end cubicle with door open, or sling. I find a sling more versatile than a door hanger. grin

When he was about 1 week old I left him briefly outside a fitting room asleep in his car seat in the trolley (there was a shop assistant on duty who had him in full view). One of the other shop assistants wheeled the trolley out of the changing rooms, then back again and told me what she'd done as a lesson to me that I should have been more careful because anyone could have snatched my baby. shock shock angry I was an angry, hormonal, blubbering wreck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now