Talk

Advanced search

My daughter has just climbed out of her cot....

(33 Posts)
Ivortheengine8 Tue 19-Jul-11 18:29:01

and landed on the floor with an almighty bump.
Thank God she is not hurt.
The rails were on the highest level.
She is 21 months old.

Is it time to put her in her bed? (its a cotbed so we just need to remove the rails)

Thanks

MonsterBookOfTysons Tue 19-Jul-11 18:31:35

I would say so, better her being a pain getting in and out at night then getting hurt.
My ds was about 2 when we took his side panel off but he hated it, got him a toddler bed and havent looked back since.
Good luck smile

Ivortheengine8 Tue 19-Jul-11 18:35:50

Thanks Monster. I guess its a bit of trial an error from here forth. We have our next child coming in October so do you think this is the right time?

Octaviapink Tue 19-Jul-11 18:54:04

They can go in beds from 18 months, so now would be a good time to put the cot away and then get it out again for the new baby, without her feeling that 'her' cot has been taken away for this interloper!

MonsterBookOfTysons Tue 19-Jul-11 18:54:36

Definately smile
I had my dd last october and chose to get ds ready, potty trained and in a big boy bed.
We managed the bed easily, it took a couple of bad nights and buying a bed guard quickly, brilliant buy which he still uses whilst potty training is still in progression.
It will be easier for you to do the hard jobs now rather than when baby is here and you are tired tbh.
Good luck for October smile

Ivortheengine8 Tue 19-Jul-11 18:57:34

Thanks both. I will have a look at bed guards now then.

PippiLongBottom Tue 19-Jul-11 18:59:09

Mine have stayed in a cot til they are 3. They still wore gro-bags then which helped.

5inthebed Tue 19-Jul-11 18:59:33

We had to get DS1 a toddler bed when he done this at 16 months old!

Definitely change it though as she will keep doing it.

Ivortheengine8 Tue 19-Jul-11 20:12:06

Thats a good idea Pippi, the gro bag thing. Havent used them though since she was tiny so not sure if she will take to them.
Thats what I thought 5inthebed, she is being a terror at the moment at the best of times!

TheMitfordsMaid Tue 19-Jul-11 20:14:16

Both mine were in beds by 12 months or so, as both were climbers and escape artists. I was prepared for midnight wanderings but by and large, they've remained put.

TheMitfordsMaid Tue 19-Jul-11 20:15:15

I should add it wasn't a big deal at all.

Tillyscoutsmum Tue 19-Jul-11 20:15:58

Grobag do these zip on duvets which are quite useful. We used that and a bed guard when dd went into her bed and she was fine.

superjobee Tue 19-Jul-11 20:19:39

DD went into her cot bed as a bed at 14 months never had any trouble or need for a bed gaurd i was apparently in a single bed at 9 months and fell out once or twice a week for a month. only reason i went into a bed is cos i refused to stop climbing out my cot and my mum was worried i'd knock myself out grin

Lotkinsgonecurly Tue 19-Jul-11 20:21:48

Both my Dc's ended up breaking through the bars rather than climbing in and out. I did have a friend that put a grobag and sleep suit on back to front on their toddler to stop them climbing out if their cot and it did seem to work grin

youarekidding Tue 19-Jul-11 20:23:56

My DS was the same as superjobee. 14 months and he climbed out and face planted giving himself a nosebleed.

We had moved flat 2 weeks before and I was mighty incensed I 'd dismantled and re built the cot and then had to dismantle it again.

I never used a bedguard, I did however have his cot mattress which slid in and out from under his bed, iirc he fell out about twice. I did however get a stairgate on his room as he was no longer contained. grin

AlmaMartyr Tue 19-Jul-11 20:27:14

We put DD in her own bed at about 19 months. She loved it and we never had problems with her getting out. DS was born when she was 22 months, so I was glad that she'd been out of her cot by then and didn't feel too pushed out as a result.

holyShmoley Tue 19-Jul-11 20:58:09

just been through this with twins, also aged 21 months. Converted the cots to toddler bed and put a stair gate in the doorway.

Ivortheengine8 Tue 19-Jul-11 21:10:50

Those of you who used gates are they still working or have they worked out how to escape through them ?

ballstoit Tue 19-Jul-11 21:15:13

All mine have moved to a bed at about 16 months (DC 1 & 2 because I needed the cot for the next one and DC2 because the cot wouldnt fit in the bedroom and I was fed up of her keeping me awake).

It took them a couple of weeks to figure out they could get out of bed easily grin and didnt bother many times when they realised that all that it led to was being put back into bed by boring, non singing, non dancing night time mum.

superjobee Tue 19-Jul-11 21:15:28

my nephew was 16 months in a bed no rails etc but figured out the gate in 2 nights the wee evil genius hmm it was one of the push button in raise gate slightly and turn ones if that makes sense? no idea what make it was as they had so many everywhere smile

ballstoit Tue 19-Jul-11 21:16:42

DD2 was my earliest to figure out the stair gate, it was a couple of weeks ago and she was 2 in June. I've invested in a pack of electrical ties and keep scissors on the top of the door frame.

fivegomadindorset Tue 19-Jul-11 21:17:58

AS soon as both of my DC's could climb out of the cot (DD climbing back in with a book) then they went into beds, never been a problem.

lenak Tue 19-Jul-11 21:18:30

DD went into a bed at 22 months - she was never an escape artist but was waking herself up bumping on the sides.

She was a fidget so bought a bed guard - unfortunately it didn't 'work' with our bed so we used the travel baby gate wedged between her bedside table and bed for a while. Only needed this for about 3 months though.

I wouldn't revert to gro bags if she has started climbing - if she tries to climb in the bag she could do herself some harm.

Tonksforthememories Tue 19-Jul-11 21:20:15

We've just put Ds into a single bed and he's nearly 22m.
DD1 was 18m, and DD2 was nearly 2 but she didn't walk till 19m and we wanted her to be confident climbing in and out of bed.

It might be best to tackle the bed now while it's still a novelty! smile

Ivortheengine8 Tue 19-Jul-11 21:22:55

Thanks ladies. I guess it would be best to get her settled before dc2 comes in October and get her used to it.
Little devils smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now