Talk

Advanced search

Bunk Beds

(8 Posts)
SlottedPig Tue 19-Jul-11 12:23:50

Hi all.
Do your children have bunks?
How old were they when they started to use them?
We are ttc dc#3 so would like to move our boys into a room together.
Is it a crazy idea or do they settle well together? Mine are good sleepers at the moment !!!
TIA
Ill be back tonight.

TheSugarPlumFairy Tue 19-Jul-11 13:18:50

DSD got her bunk beds at just under 4. She has been sleeping in the top bunk ever since (now 9). She was fine up there.

swash Tue 19-Jul-11 13:51:43

Just got bunkbeds - DD is nearly 7. I wouldn't put a young child in a top bunk because of the risk of falling injuries (common cause of broken bones).

My kids usually settle well together and like the company - when the little one decides to be annoying it is awful for the elder one. But doesn't happen very often.

p99gmb Tue 19-Jul-11 13:57:01

I've got bunk beds and it states that the top bunk is only suitable for children aged 6 and over...

Social Services in our area (I'm a foster carer) state 7+ to use the top bunk.

We have a 2 and a 3 year old in the same room (bottom bunk and a toddler bed) and I'd say its swings and roundabouts - yes it works and at times I wish we had a spare room..

BlueberryPancake Tue 19-Jul-11 21:00:55

No. Will not use them ever. Friend's daughter fell from top bunk and was in hospital for days with severe head injury. She is 8. I have enough space for two single beds in their bedroom and if they grow out of sharing we have enough bedrooms for them to have their own.

medusasmirror Tue 19-Jul-11 22:36:38

I have twins and they insisted on bunkbeds at the beginning of the year. They are about to turn 8 yrs old. I thought it would be endless rows for the top bunk but I usually find them both asleep in the bottom bunk together. My younger child is 5 yrs old and has recently gone into a mid height sleeper,
mainly because he always wanted to sleep on top bunk in sisters room.

Floandno Tue 26-Jul-11 18:55:48

DS was just nearly four when he got his loft bed, simply because there was not enough space in his room for him to play.
The first few weeks he had it, we put pillows below the ladder. He fell off the steps the first night he had it (forgot they were there!) was unharmed, and he hasn't done it since.
When he has friends over, we do say no to going up the bunk bed though as i know how excitable DS and his friends get when they're together!
I trust him and we're happy for him to be there.
(Can't give advice on sharing though!)

crazycarol Tue 26-Jul-11 22:13:40

DD was 4 when we got her loft bed with a desk & futon underneath. No problems whatsoever, although it did say not suitable for under 6 years. Great for sleepovers with the futon underneath. By 12 she had outgrown it though.

Only problem I had with the high up bed was that the only way to change the sheets was to climb up the ladders. I only did it once, after that dd had to do it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now